Builds DRANGED's GX470 build/ownership thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Maybe they only fill the reservoir full of coolant and then when it heated up it sucked it all back into the radiator. That's not the correct way but maybe that's what they did. I've also questioned fluids being replaced at the last Lexus dealership visit for my vehicle. There are no signs that the rear differential was actually opened. IE no shiny bolt corners.
emoji_u1f624.png

totally!!
I feel like it can't be EVERY time I have a dealer experience that I have a gripe, yet reliably I do... I take that back, the Subaru Dealership in Flagstaff was good (this was back in early-mid 2000s), and their master mechanic was globally recognized, he even worked on my rig a couple times. BUT, when I got the GX I thought, I consciously thought, "I'll give Lexus a try. I'll give them the benefit of doubt" and was disappointed. GAH!!! Then timing was due over the new year and I knew what my buddy went through doing his 100's 2UZ on his own (albeit managing child and life) and he certainly did more "while-you're-in-theres" than a dealer would and he was in it 10 hours... So I easily wanted to farm that out and honestly, I wasn't too bent over a barrel even for a Yota dealership, considering V8, timing, water pump, pulleys, idlers, re-clamp a CV and a trans drain and refill, given what I knew about Suby dealership timing belt, idlers and water pump...
emoji_u1f911.png

That reminds me I should look at my service record for diff services. . .

Anyway..... not too long and I'll be back in the regular income game and my fun-fund will grow and moar good maintenance can happen. I plan on keeping this rig 15-20 years so all that matters....
I put 142K on my suby over 13 years and still have it, so this (with it's million-mile engine) rig will certainly do that for me at least.
emoji_u1f608.png

Last edited:
Yota gas cap didn't solve the previous codes, I had a NAPA one for a while, but finally got the Yota one...

Google-fu suggests canister... 👍

To that'll be the next step....

download_20190314_230423.png

Only four things that cause this (in order of ease): gas cap, vent plugged, charcoal canister, purge valve.

Only four things that cause this (in order of ease): gas cap, vent plugged, charcoal canister, purge valve.
I think I looked into replacing the canister a while ago... Sort of a job, but comparably relatively easy.

Thanks @Vlad , this is a perfect"order of events" checklist.

🤙

Last edited:
Think you can get it fixed before you leave?
Nope. We leave @ 0900. 😁

I think its a combo of KDSS lean and my driveway. It's always looked wonky on that side of the driveway. Now that I've pulled in forward its not nearly as bad....
Only an inch different in height hub-fender, and its pretty loaded, so lots of confounds.

IMG_20190525_080556.jpg
IMG_20190525_080623.jpg

Yes, in fact i have those bits packed in a rocket box on the roof. 🤘👍

Last edited:
Last edited:
I wish all repairs were as easy as changing the rear airbags. And that fist photo looks like a severe lean. As a band aid until you replace bags, if that is even the problem, if you trick the rear air to over inflat just a little, the bags seem to seal/close onto the crack keeping the leak shut and no air loss when in "N"

i'm not sure it is bags, might be severe KDSS lean. The compressor isn't running all the tie to keep auto-level if from a leak and I haven't even bled the KDSS hydraulics yet...

Airbags work well, keep level wen loaded and inflate to HI for crawling well...

soo.... investigation is just needed.
the time of the great time-quality-cost trifecta. :confused:

Devil's Kitchen 3 for 2 nights!

Oh what a difference moar trails under the belt makes. I remember the 1st time over E. Hill, i was gripped and needed a spootter everywhere... this time it was read-and-run the whole way!!

We even went up into Ruin park (GX led the treo 🤠 )

Ascend Bobby's hole trail into Beef Basin

Last edited:
Last edited:
So, after months of work, scheduling, discussion, and back-and-forth texting and phone calls It's real, it's a thing, it bolts right on and it IS available!!!

The Rhino-Rack Prado 120 backbone (RTPB2) exists, IS stateside and can be had. Rhino-rack dealers can get it from the warehouse and RR-USA is finalizing the details for publishing it on their website. Your local Rhino-rack dealer like mom-&-pop dealers (not the megga shop or online retails mind you), can get the product for you through the warehouse.

Rhino-Rack Lexus GX470 backbone

Screenshot_20190605-220002~2.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom