Builds DRANGED's GX470 build/ownership thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, after months of work, scheduling, discussion, and back-and-forth texting and phone calls It's real, it's a thing, it bolts right on and it IS available!!!

The Rhino-Rack Prado 120 backbone (RTPB2) exists, IS stateside and can be had. Rhino-rack dealers can get it from the warehouse and RR-USA is finalizing the details for publishing it on their website. Your local Rhino-rack dealer like mom-&-pop dealers (not the megga shop or online retails mind you), can get the product for you through the warehouse.

Looking great! How long are the backbone rails?

I'm not at home so no tools. I'll try to track down a tape measure tomorrow. 👍

It sits amazingly low profile. i'll get some measurements up soon too....
This is the 84"x 49" platform

How much was the total for rack?

About 71", bottom of
Quick answer now, the backbone rails are About 71". Bottom of platform is a little under 2" from roof @ rear crossbars and about 1.25" @ middle crossbar.
The front edge of the backbone is 8" in front of the front-most mounting holes, the rear point of backbone is about 8" behind the rearmost mounting hole.

I measured a few hours ago figuring I'd "remember" but it's raining like Fu right now, so I'm not going out to redo it. 🙃

Last edited:
Last edited:
About 71", bottom of

Quick answer now, the backbone rails are About 71". Bottom of platform is a little under 2" from roof @ rear crossbars and about 1.25" @ middle crossbar.

I measured a few hours ago figuring I'd "remember" but it's raining like Fu right now, so I'm not going out to redo it. 🙃
Awesome thanks. I think I am going with the 76x49 rack if I do it. Will have lights sticking off the front and back.

Awesome thanks. I think I am going with the 76x49 rack if I do it. Will have lights sticking off the front and back.
FWIW,
The 76 lines up with the center of the sunroof glass and will sir about 3-3.5 inches above the glass. I think the 44" fairing might nest inside the backbone rails on the 76 platform (if you go that route..but again it'll rest on the glass. At that distance aft of the windshield curve, you probably don't need the fairing).... Maybe.

I'll have to go out and look closely at it to verify.

Last edited:
I just bought one today and it was $534, which is the same list price as the GX460 one.
And of course you're absitively posolutely sure it's RTPB2.

Interestingly the later gens came out first. 200 series cruiser backbone is RTLB1 and 100 series is RTLB2, same with prados, 150 is #1 and 120 is #2.

Last edited:
So, after months of work, scheduling, discussion, and back-and-forth texting and phone calls It's real, it's a thing, it bolts right on and it IS available!!!

The Rhino-Rack Prado 120 backbone (RTPB2) exists, IS stateside and can be had. Rhino-rack dealers can get it from the warehouse and RR-USA is finalizing the details for publishing it on their website. Your local Rhino-rack dealer like mom-&-pop dealers (not the megga shop or online retails mind you), can get the product for you through the warehouse.

That rack is probably my favorite.

And of course you're abstively posutely sure it's RTOB2.

Interestingly the later gens came out first. 200 series cruiser backbone is RTLB1 and 100 series is RTLB2, same with prados, 150 is #1 and 120 is #2.

Yeah it took him forever to find it in the order system to get the price. I was very specific. And my order confirmation is for the RTPB2.

Yeah it took him forever to find it in the order system to get the price. I was very specific. And my order confirmation is for the RTPB2.
Roger rhat. I'm sure you double, triple, extra quadruple checked, especially b/c it's just on the cusp of being populated for availability. 👍🤘

You're gonna be psyched! 😈

Last edited:
Even with the rack pushed more towards the front? You might be able to talk me into the 84”
There is adjustability in the system. It's mounted in one of 4 sets if holes. I'm thinking of pushing it one hole-set forward to get my fairing off the front of the glass and onto the body.

Looking at it more, I wonder if the 76 with fairing set back would be ideal. The platform would center in the backbone with leading edge if platform in center 9f glass, which is probably well enough behind windshield line for airflow, thenI Ithink the fairing might nest inside the backbone rails and you could have it set behind the glass to push any air up.... 🤔

*Edit*
No, you couldn't put the fairing back enough to be off the glass rearward with the 76. But the 76 may set back far enough you wouldn't need It.
My album shows a 5th gen 4r with the 76".

I think either would be ideal, 84 or 76. The 76 would set 3" either side if the backbone, and this 84 is well balanced @ 6 and 6.5" overhangs.

Last edited:
There is adjustability in the system. It's mounted in one of 4 sets if holes. I'm thinking of pushing it one hole-set forward to get my fairing off the front of the glass and onto the body.

Looking at it more, I wonder if the 76 with fairing set back would be ideal. The platform would center in the backbone with leading edge if platform in center 9f glass, which is probably well enough behind windshield line for airflow, thenI Ithink the fairing might nest inside the backbone rails and you could have it set behind the glass to push any air up.... 🤔
I had my Yakima basket on top that is 64” long and the front of the basket was at the back of the sunroof. Wind noise was so terrible I ended up taking it off.

I had my Yakima basket on top that is 64” long and the front of the basket was at the back of the sunroof. Wind noise was so terrible I ended up taking it off.
Those are also taller with round bar leading edges. I had a generic 44" long basket up top and did the rope wrap on front bars which killed the wind turbulence noise (in my build thread).

Last edited:
It deffinitely need the Prado's black window trim now.
IMG_20190603_115436.jpg
IMG_20190603_115329.jpg
IMG_20190603_115337.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom