Drained battery, oxydation on the (+), symptoms of what? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my 80 sat for a while since my last summer trip and as I wanted to start it over again I got no juice.
Since the battery was old anyway, I decided to replace it, same specs and all, and everything went fine, cranked and started all right.
Rig sat again for weeks (two months tops) before I needed it and now the new battery is dead as well. I'm fairly sure that I didn't let anything on inside, such as dome lights. The only thing on is an alarm LED.
The interesting thing I noticed is the heavy white oxydation on the (+) side of the brand new battery, which makes me wondering if there isn't some kind of shortcircuit somewhere, or a faulty ground? Did anybody here experience that funky thing? Is that even a symptom? Any input appreciated.
Thanks and :cheers:

You definitely have a draw somewhere. I would start with using a Combo meter and start pulling fuses to see if that exposes the culprit. The LED on the alarm WILL eventually kill a battery tho.

Try cleaning off both battery terminals to see if it won't start due to a bad connections. Or did you use a meter on the battery posts and know that in fact it is dead?

You definitely have a draw somewhere. I would start with using a Combo meter and start pulling fuses to see if that exposes the culprit. The LED on the alarm WILL eventually kill a battery tho.
Like, in 8 weeks? With a brand new battery?

Try cleaning off both battery terminals to see if it won't start due to a bad connections. Or did you use a meter on the battery posts and know that in fact it is dead?
Gotcha. Checked already. Anyway, battery is now charging in the shop and rig will be there as well soon.

Gotcha. Checked already. Anyway, battery is now charging in the shop and rig will be there as well soon.

The alarm can easily drain the battery in 2 months. I would disconnect if leaving it that long.

BTW: Love your sig - just saw the movie for the first time the other day.

Oh totally.

Just to give you an idea. If I still had my regular dome lights it would take ~20 hours to kill the battery. Now that I have George's LEDs it would take the same light about a week to kill the battery. Give or take a day. Now take a low draw blinking LED and 2 months? Sure it'll drain it.

The alarm can easily drain the battery in 2 months. I would disconnect if leaving it that long.

BTW: Love your sig - just saw the movie for the first time the other day.

Lesson learned. Thanks guys. And thanks for the BTW. A very subversive movie for the times. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom