Drain Pipe Roof Rack Shower, I Think (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everybody - my name's David and I spend most of my time in the 80's section, but saw something today this section might be more interested in. It was on an 80 with a full size roof rack. Surrounding the sides and back of the rack and attached by straps and brackets were three rack length and width pieces of 5 inch black PVC drain pipe, jointed at the corners with 90 degree elbows. I walked around it a few times until I saw a spigot coming out the front. Obviously for carrying water, but looked too top heavy for any real driving. This would have been about 15 feet times 5 inches of water.

Maybe this is a low-tech camp shower? I'd imagine the water would warm up pretty good in the Queensland sun.

Somebody makes a similar approach for a pick-up/SUV bed, but much shorter, for a neat way to carry water for your dogs when hunting...looked pretty slick.

I've run this idea around in my head for quite some time and never have been able to justify adding the weight up high. A similar setup under the truck using a poly tank or PVC grill made from straights and T's is what I always end up going back to. Heating the water under the truck in the shade is a little slower though.

If my math is right that is about 160 pounds of water (15 feet, with 4 1/2 inches ID for the pipe)

If you are not doing much fast driving or off-camber stuff, might be pretty luxurious for camping, especially by the ocean.

not bad 15 gallons of water! I came up with around 130 lbs. for the water (8.35 lbs. per gallon) and then the mounting equip so 150lbs total. No different than a spare tire up there!

Agreed to all the above points. My "target" use would be a luke warm freshwater rinse at the beach. I don't like that dried saltwater crackly feeling when pulling on a t-shirt at the end of the day

Thanks for the math guys. :beer:

David

David,

Did you snap any pics?

-B-

Beowulf said:
David,

Did you snap any pics?

-B-

No but now I am seeing more and more around town. I'll get one soon. I used to assume these guys were all plumbers/fisherman, until I started noticing the jointed corners.

David

I had a lumber rack on my Tacoma, and bolted up a PVC tank shower off of that for after-surf and desert rinses. I don't have the exact dimensions, but I took a few feet of black PVC, added a "T", capped each end, then drilled and tapped a spigot into the bottom, with a short length of hose. Rubber-capped the top. The thing held about 5 gallons of water, and was nice and warm with any amount of sunlight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom