Drain Cock plug question on new OEM Rad (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got the new Rad from Cdan (Thanks!). And I was checking it out and I couldn't unscrew the drain cock plug with just using my hands.

Next step is to get some pliers on it but I wanted to check if anyone else had experienced this. Seems like it might have gotten an extra application of paint.

Last thing I want to do is mess with a broken drain cock plug on a newly installed radiator.

Thanks, Matt

seems like they are pretty tight. I'll be putting my radiator in this weekend also!

I had to start mine (gently) with pliers. I ended up taking a 3 inch section of old broomstick and cutting a groove in one end to fit the end of the plug in so I could get it on and off while installed (my very own SST) as it's kind of awkward to get to.

X2 on using pliers very carefully. The radiator is not as bad as the PHH to change but it is a big job (for me anyways). Also be careful of the small plastic tube coming out of the top tank. I found it useful to use two people when lifting and when lowering the radiatior from the vehicle. That way you can keep an eye out for anything that might hit the cooling fins.

FYI on draining one on truck, I used a large socket that contacted the ears of the plug to loosen it. There was no room to grip it otherwise.

I gave up trying to loosen mine yesterday while doing a coolant flush. Could not find any tool to loosen it. Ended up taking off the lower hose, easy enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom