dragging rear brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My rear brakes started dragging a little yesterday. When I put in new shoes a few months ago, I adjusted them to where they were pretty far from the drum. I wasn't using my ebrake - the cable was sticking and causing thr brake on the drivers side to stick/drag. I fixed the cable and have been using the ebrake since then, and now, the auto adjuster has clicked it's self to the point where the brakes are touching the drums. (If I roll back from a stop on a slight slope, I can feel the brakes come bring the truck to a stop, ever so slightly.)

I haven't jacked it up to see how free the wheels turn just yet - but why would the slef adjuster lock the brakes like that?

When you replaced the shoes, did you also replace the springs? These will lose tension, especially if you stretch them back in place. The shoes should be adjusted out so the drum just fits over them when putting it back together. Self adjusting brakes only mean that you have to back up at speed and apply brakes to get the adjustment.

I didn't replace the springs, but they were in good shape. The shoes weren't worn either - the reason i changed them was because grease had coated one side after a blown seal.

it's only dragging on the drivers side - should I just back off on the star-wheel a little and see what happens? I think what happened was, during inspection, the ebrake was pulled a little too hard and it got another couple of clicks on the star-wheel. At least, that's what I'm thinking.

I'll check the springs, too.

I had my e-brake locking up on the driver's side a while back--after driving, the wheel would get hot. Here's what worked for me.

The cable that leads to each rear wheel enters a little rubber boot--insert the straw from a can of WD40 into the little rubber boot and spray away, absolutely soaking it, and then work the e-brake handle up and down a bit. Do this every day for a couple of days, and it should unstick it.

Drum brakes are supposed to drag slightly when properly adjusted. You should be able to spin the tire at least 1 complete revolution by hand and they shouldn't be so tight that the drum is too hot to touch after driving it several miles (w/o using the brakes). If they are too tight, you probably installed the self adjuster improperly.

I had an 82FJ60 that did something similar. I had a shop do the rear brakes. A couple days later, they were dragging. The bellcranks that operate the E brake mech were not stuck. I took it back to the shop and had them "fix" it. A few more days go by and the rear drums are hot to the touch from dragging brakes. Figuring I had been dealing with morons, I took off both drums - after having to loosen the starwheel to release the shoes. I spent a good deal of time checking everything. I compared the assembly to the OE shop manual and couldn't find anything wrong. I even measured the drums to be sure they weren't worn outside the max diameter spec. Everything checked out. Out of frustration, I swapped the drums and put it all back together. The problem was gone. E brake worked fine, brakes didn't drag anymore. I wish I could say what fixed it but I was stumped. Anyone else out there run across this?

Oh yea, one other comment... er, question. Do Cruiser brakes self adjust when backing up? I thought that was a Ford an GM design while Toyo used the E brake to set the shoes. And if that's the case, what about all those auto tranny folk who rarely use the ebrake, like on 62s and maybe 80s, are their rear shoes chronically out of adjustment?

I'll try the WD40 in the boot thing - like 60wag, I've taken it all apart and looked it over, compared it to the manual, etc...Everything seems to check out.

to the best of my knowledge, to set the rear brakes (and this is according to the Toyo manual) you're supposed to drive, pump the brakes and 'pump' the ebrake while driving. While the brakes were loose, every time I pulled the ebrake (or the cable from underneath) you could hear the star wheel clicking.

click, click, click.

my passanger side did that cause it was dirty... cleaned it ant the cable all gone brake clean, WD-40 and shoe grease( where it hits the backing plate )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom