Drag race results - 1997 vs 1993 models (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Many of you have heard me comment lately that the new 97 we got a few months ago is notably faster than the 93 we've had for 12 years. Well, I got a chance to test this theory thanks to an adventurous wife. This evening, both 80s ended up at a friend's house and we came home talking on the cell phones when I decided to settle this question once and for all. She agreed to drag race me.

After a couple false starts before we realized that when I said "go", it took at least a full second for my voice to travel through the cell system tower and back to her car next to mine, we got it right. We did 2 runs of 50-80mph, and 2 runs from 0-50mph. Both cars were equally laden as best I could figure, regarding fuel level even. No A/C, and everything else was equal. The 93 might have a very slight disadvantage due to new tires - I'll measure them at some point.

The 97 has freshly repacked birfs and rear wheel bearings, and the 93 has freshly repacked rear wheel bearings. Tire pressures up and even. Both in excellent tune, and the 93 has about 10,000 more miles on it, both had Shell mid grade fuel, recent air filters, and both fully warmed up. Even had the antennas up on both trucks, so as closely as possible these trucks were matched.

On the 50-80 run the 97 was a half car length faster. Repeated with same result. So I was feeling good that my well tuned butt was correct that the 97 was stronger as it just feels that way around town.

Then, from 0-50 the 93 trounced the 97 by a half car length. We repeated this for the same result and I was crestfallen - the butt's out of tune!!

Personally, I'm surprised because it was the around town use (where the 0-50 comes in) that showed me I was wrong. Interesting that perception can be so off, eh?

So there you have it - the first semi official match race of the girlie tranny models vs the manly tranny!

DougM

Doug,

:rolleyes:
Give your butt some rest, re-tune it and be ready for rebuttal. :D

Nice job, Doug!

Mot

You good people got any three lane streets out there? :D

Make that a 4 lane...:flipoff2:

I'll put the little pully on just for you Shaun.......;)

Nice work. Pushing the 80's like that it's a good thing you didnt blow a HG :)

cruiserdan said:

Now we're getting going!

But, Dan, better be safe and find a way to put on two pulleys! :D :flipoff2: :D

Very interesting Doug . . . do you have any split times for the 0 - 50 or 50 - 80?

Not wanting anyone to go out and redline their 80's but just curious if anyone has any official or unofficial times?

Derek

Nope, no times. I just wanted a side by side "floor it" comparo. Split times based on speed are notoriously inaccurate. Best to use a set distance, which is why the quarter mile is so popular.

BTW, completely forgot to add that the 93's base timing has been advanced a few degrees. Did that years ago and just remembered.

DougM

cruiserdan said:

Speaking of (a) little pully, Dan, I just caught your avatar! :eek: :ban:

Very subtle! :D

:beer: :beer:

That's a puller actually.....;)

turbocruiser said:
Now we're getting going!

But, Dan, better be safe and find a way to put on two pulleys! :D :flipoff2: :D

U better pack a lunch......... ;)

It's gonna take U all day........... ;)

Sorry guys, but I just have to laugh when I think about Land Cruisers trying to "drag race". I'm not berating Doug for seeing which turtle is faster (inquiring minds want to know), but I'll bet it didn't draw much of a crowd.

Doug, were you racing for "pinks", or are both Cruisers already in your name?

Cheers friend!

Were you wearing helmets?

BTW I've read that women have faster reflexes, perhaps the drivers should switch vehicles for the next round. :flipoff2:

FAWK you got spanked by your wife didn't you??? :D I bet if you pulled the antenna down you would have dusted her...

LOL I love thinking about (insert slow vehicle of choice) drag racing....I'm resurecting a diesel Mercedes and once I get teh sucker running I'm going to challenge my wife....

sleeoffroad said:
Hey, I will bring the turbo'ed 100 series any time :D Might even pick Shotts up on the way

Ohh crap, now I'm in too far; ... ; everyone knows you can't beat Shotts' 100 on ANYTHING!!! :flipoff2: :D :flipoff2:

Yeah, it was definitely the race of the turtles - heh! I rarely floor them except when towing, so it was kinda fun to see them both pick up their skirts and run....

One mistake I realized was that I didn't check to see if the 97's "power" button was engaged. Likely made a difference - especially with the 0-50mph. I'll check later today. Rematch??

DougM

If you were at WOT it does not matter about the switch position. The transmission shifts in the same manner under WOT regardless of switch position.

I haven't been at WOT for, maybe, 10 hours or so....... :grinpimp:

Excellent! I know we were both mashing the floor mats, so I can sleep tonight knowing it was a fair fight. Plus, I don't have to go blow 3 gallons of $2.40 gas to try again....

DougM

Did you take into account the difference in body weight between the two of you?
Of course this was likely offset.. if she had her purse with her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom