dr_claw's FJ45 build up, from rusty to well let's find out.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

here is the rocker all finished! I used a flap disk to smooth it out. A small skim coat of bondo is all that will be needed to cover up the seam.
rocker finished!.JPG

Ok, here is a body work lesson that I learned from a local guy named Ron Morris.

My dad is into vintage cars and hotrods so I picked up some skills from him and his club.

Anyway, I watched Ron turn a 1940 four door ford into a tudor by splicing the frame and roof section of the two cars.

Step one....

Cut out some cardboard stencils. ( I didn't take a pic of that :) )

Step 2

Cut out the sheetmetal the same shape as the cardboard. I am using 16 gauge HR.

Step 3

Tack the piece into the hole in two or three places. I realize that I am out by about 3/8" to 1/2" the whole way around.
fj45 piece of steel before cut.JPG

Step 4:

Spray paint the rear of the panel with white or bright spray paint. Only on the seams :p
fj45 floor paint.JPG

Step 5

Remove the panel and cut the remainder with a zip disk.

Step 6

tack back in

Step 7

Continue all other panels until all are done!
fj45 piece of steel before cut.JPG
fj45 panels 2.JPG
fj45 panel.JPG

Last pic for now,

I am using these neat sheet metal body clamps. Basically just a 1x1" piece of square tubing with a pin and a threaded rod. They worked well.
fj45 panel clamps.JPG

lookin good dude, word of advise, attach the doors and hard top so you are 100% sure things will close and line up when its all welded up :)

Dan

Dan you need to change your sig. :D

I have done a lot over the last while. Welding is all done on the tub.

Here is the plate that i fixed the rocker rear corner with. A little filler will be needed.
fj45 lower corner.JPG

here are some more pics of stuff i have fixed, filled. There will be a deck in the glove box, maybe the amp in there too. The new plate on the dash will be for the sirius radio.

The spot beside the gauge cluster will now be for a autometer 3 5/8" tach.
fj45 dash b4.JPG
fj45 dash after.JPG
fj45 dash after x 3.JPG

The inner rockers were half salvaged from the old tub. I just used the top inch or so.

I am not super concerned how the inner panels look because they will be under 3/16" of bedliner, sound deading material, and a factory floor mat. I wire wheeled the seams so slag and crap isn't going to screw anything up.

I am going to paint the floor, behind the dash ect with POR 15 before I get the bedliner sprayed.
fj45 inner rocker.JPG

The body work on the cab is almost done. I am starting to work on a trailer because I have no way to move this to the paint booth ;)

So, I'm guessing you're a non-smoker.....haha:lol:

I couldn't tell how you ended up doing the holes in the short vertical panel behind the seats. I only saw where you marked out where they would be. What did you end up doing there?

Keep the pics coming.:D

:smokin:
Superb job so far! I like the fact you're bringin a *questionable tub, in that shape, back to life. Good patience & quality skillz. Looks like you've done this before. You using .25 wire & some type of heat absorption mat'l. to keep it from warping?

Thanks for the positive comments,

The respirator is made by North products and the air inlet tube is by the same company. I am still very happy with it.

www.uvex.us/products/products2.asp?id=36rescription

safety glasses are made by Uvex. I am also very happy with them and I strongly recomend anyone with glasses to get a pair. Clip in inserts and removable lenses are great for welding and grinding!

UPDATE!

The body work on the tub and cab parts has been done for about 2 months now. I have been stalling to the "christmas break" to paint the tub.

My work is shut down for 2 weeks. With no one in the shop, and the dust level down. It has a paint booth but is only like 8' x 8'.

The plan is to paint the body at work in the shop, then take it back home to finish all interior stuff on saw horses.

I can paint the top, doors, and small body stuff in the booth whenever, but the tub has to be done, NOW!

Pics shortly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom