dr_claw's FJ45 build up, from rusty to well let's find out.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dammit harmon, I told you........dont show people pics of your welding;p Tub is lookin good man. Im soo glad you convinced me to sell it to you for 50 bucks:mad:

:D

Dan

Where were you when I was in school?

i painted the inside of the box section with SEM weldable primer. Clamped and ready to be welded!
inner fj45 cAB.JPG
OUTER 45 CAB.JPG

Getting lots done!

I finished welding the back cab section. Now I have to make the rear cab body mounts. I am trying to decide if I should make the original "X" style mounts or just run square ones. I may even make a hybrid of the both. I don't care if it looks original, but I do want strength and function.

I ordered the rockers with the factory lip for the doors. Then I can stitch in the floor and new cowl section. Yay!

here are some shots of the rear.....
fj45 rear cab lower section.JPG
fj45 rear cab lower section 2.JPG

You mean we have to wait till Weds to see the pics??????? That's just not good enough!

I took a little time of this last weekend for a ride. 480 miles on a dirt bike is a little much. Fun though. Pic is from the Hope BC landslide.
slide pic.JPG

I wanted to keep a little of the original style of the rear tub body mounts. I came up with this to replace the rusted crap. The last pic is it just sitting on the tub. More pics of the finished product welded on tomorrow. I am very happy with how it turned out.
rusted crap.JPG
rusted and new.JPG
new sitting on tub.JPG

I have not touched this thing since the end of the school year. I have got back at it and I am hoping that the cab will look like a cab by the end of the week.

Here are the new rockers I bought from real steel off ebay. I am happy with how fast they were shipped and the quality.

The ONLY reason that I bought these new instead of fixing/making my own is for the proper alignment of the rear cab section to the fire wall.
fj45 new rockers.JPG

Because I am running a tig'd alu. fuel tank under the bed, I blanked out the sender, but kept the factory shape. I was just going to smooth out all, but I wanted to keep it sort of stock.....

I also want a sub under the factory bench :)
fj45 filler neck covered.JPG

I am using a different firewall, witht the original floor. I used the tunnel to mock up where everything should line up. Looks like it worked!

I am going to start welding tomorrow. Enought grinding and cutting for today.
fj45 mock up floor.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom