DPF's and AdBlue with currently available new diesel ute/4wd/pickup vehicles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guy at my work has a 6 month old Nissan Navara and last week he removed the DPF. Of all the currently available diesel ute/4wd/pickup models selling as new, are they almost all now fitted with a DPF?

I'm told it's supposed to be considered illegal to remove the DPF. Nissan doesn't make diesel Patrol now but Toyota still has a diesel landcruiser, and I'm betting the 300 series has a DPF.

On a related topic, how many diesel ute/4wd/pickup models currently selling as new now require the use of AdBlue (perhaps as well as having a DPF)?

Not sure about Australia but earlier this year, I rented a truck in Central America and it had no dpf. It was a 2022 Mitsubishi pick up. My cousin has a new Nissan Navarra pick up and also no dpf. That one is also in Central America.

Pretty well everything diesel here that was manufactured since 2016 has a DPF. Facelift VDJ200 + MY16 VDJ7# were the first cruisers for the AU market to get them.

So DPF's are the answer the meeting more stringent emission requirements which the motors cannot meet on their own. ie. knobble the performance/behaviour by 'burning even more fuel' in a 'controlled demolition' kind of way. ;)

Did Nissan choose to dump diesels in the new Patrols because they (or PSA their parent co) felt that it was not possible to make a 'compliant' vehicle without dropping diesel and going back to petrol-only powertrain? I note there is as yet no 'mainstream' EV or even a hybrid in the 4wd/ute market here in Australia.

So DPF's are the answer the meeting more stringent emission requirements which the motors cannot meet on their own. ie. knobble the performance/behaviour by 'burning even more fuel' in a 'controlled demolition' kind of way. ;)

Did Nissan choose to dump diesels in the new Patrols because they (or PSA their parent co) felt that it was not possible to make a 'compliant' vehicle without dropping diesel and going back to petrol-only powertrain? I note there is as yet no 'mainstream' EV or even a hybrid in the 4wd/ute market here in Australia.
Agree totally on the DPF comments, and they're also a fire hazard out in the bush.

I think the patrol has no diesel because it's primary market is the middle east

DPF's only need burned clean with extra diesel if the vehicle never sees sustained high load.
Nissan unfortunately sucked at diesels. They were so close in the early 2000's but lost the plot.
They had the YD22 and YD25 which were good and reliable engines. Then they cost-cut those to death (from dual row timing chains to single row, oil pickup tube's not sealing and timing chain tensioner issues).
The indirect injection TD/QD turned into the direct injection ZD30. But they killed them with a tune so hot they melted pistons and got nicknamed "the grenade". If they'd run more boost to drop EGT they would have been fantastic. If they'd made a ZD45 they'd still be in huge demand.

So Nissan now uses Renault engines.

EV doesn't work for load carrying. They're too heavy, range and recharge time doesn't work.

I followed a new petrol Patrol on the open road earlier this year. I was driving a diesel ute and either the patrol is really gutless or the driver was watching the fuel consumption gauge. My ute was faster up all the hills.

I followed a new petrol Patrol on the open road earlier this year. I was driving a diesel ute and either the patrol is really gutless or the driver was watching the fuel consumption gauge. My ute was faster up all the hills.

Unless you both had an understanding that there was a dick measurin a happening, and not just in your mind, that's meaningless

Unless you both had an understanding that there was a dick measurin a happening, and not just in your mind, that's meaningless

The new patrol torque per ton at in top gear is much lower than a diesel ute. So unless you're kicking it into lower gears and running 4k rpm it's going to be slower uphills than modern utes.
It's got 560Nm but only at 4000rpm and it's about 2.8 ton empty: Specs and Prices | Patrol | Nissan New Zealand - https://www.nissan.co.nz/vehicles/browse-range/patrol-beta/specs-and-pricing.html

I actually thought it was a minivan until it stopped. Looks exactly like one from the back at night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom