Downshift Clunk(s) - When arriving at stop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.greasyhands.co
Good Afternoon,

I hope everyone is staying healthy and virus free! Stay healthy out there!

I have a 2006 LX that just crossed the 130k mark and I am noticing (sometimes louder than others) 1-2 "clunks" as my LX downshifts (from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st maybe?) as I brake the vehicle when approaching a stoplight or stop sign.

It seems I can mitigate it sometimes if I ease into the stop (begin braking further distances away from stop point).

I don't think it's transmission related as this vehicle shifts very smooth otherwise.

I can feel the clunks in my feet. In my mind it's almost like slack or play in something....

Thanks for any help guys

Check your front diff mounting bushings. Have someone shift your truck into drive & reverse while you look at the diff (skid plate off). Very common driveline clunk on these rigs.

Check your front diff mounting bushings. Have someone shift your truck into drive & reverse while you look at the diff (skid plate off). Very common driveline clunk on these rigs.

Thanks @DirtDawg and can you point me to a thread or instructions on how to resolve this "clunk"?

Good Afternoon,

I hope everyone is staying healthy and virus free! Stay healthy out there!

I have a 2006 LX that just crossed the 130k mark and I am noticing (sometimes louder than others) 1-2 "clunks" as my LX downshifts (from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st maybe?) as I brake the vehicle when approaching a stoplight or stop sign.

It seems I can mitigate it sometimes if I ease into the stop (begin braking further distances away from stop point).

I don't think it's transmission related as this vehicle shifts very smooth otherwise.

I can feel the clunks in my feet. In my mind it's almost like slack or play in something....

Thanks for any help guys
Did you ever figure out this issue with the downshift "clunk" while coming to a stop? My 04' LX is doing the same exact thing

I would start with greasing up the u-joints in the drive shafts.

Jim

Did you ever figure out this issue with the downshift "clunk" while coming to a stop? My 04' LX is doing the same exact thing
I’d bet on worn splines in your hub flanges since you feel it in your feet. I had the same issue coming to and leaving from a stop

I have an 04 doing the same thing. 225k on the clock. I thought it was trans. Did exchange, and got the level to where it should be with tech stream. It happens more if I slow to the stop. If I stop more abruptly it doesn’t happen. So I’m not sure what to think. Going to have wheel bearing service done shortly and I plan on greasing u-joints when it’s not dumping snow. Truck shift smooth as can be up and most of the time down. It’s not an every single time thing either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom