Downgrading from 18” to 16” rims? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This might be a total noob question, but I searched and couldn’t find it in the forums. I’ll likely be buying a 2005 LX470, and it has bald tires. I wouldn’t want to drive them over 45 mph. So the very first order of business will be to get tires. BUT, this is going to be an overlanding/hunting/fishing rig, so I think I might want to go with the older 16” rims off the earlier FJ100s so I have more sidewall to cushion when airing down. That said, this has the AHC suspension, and I don’t know if there are any issues with brake calipers, hubs, or anything else. I am fairly confident I can find someone to trade these 18“ rims to so I wouldn’t have to spend any extra cash. But being new to this vehicle, I am hoping someone can educate me before I make a mistake, if it is indeed going to be a problem.

What, it's a 2005 now? :) I've read that the 16" wheels found on 100 series will fit all years of this model, even though the older ones like this came with larger wheels.

Also a fan of smaller and stock Toyota/Lexus wheels here, so I like your plan.

What, it's a 2005 now? :) I've read that 16" wheels will fit all years 100 series, even though the older ones like this came with larger wheels.

Also a fan of smaller and stock Toyota/Lexus wheels here, so I like your plan.
Yeah, Facebook Marketplace had one 11 miles away, with lower miles, just redid all the major engine work (timing belt/water pump/fluids), and dropped the price from $13,500 to $11,000 (beating the ask price in Atlanta!) to help me get into and still be able to buy tires. The I side is rougher, but it’s going to be my trail rig so I don’t care. BTW, I HATE THIS NAV SYSTEM, so I’ll have to figure out what I want to do there, but that!s not critical to get on the trails.

also, how long you been in Juneau? Was stationed in Anchorage from ‘05 to ‘09. Miss Alaska summers!

zac

(edited for spelling)

Last edited:
99E0D355-6487-4B5C-A98F-FE4517A07425.jpeg

Looking good, and sounds like a decent deal unless it's very high miles. The newer 2005+ 100 series have some significant powertrain upgrades over the earlier ones, I believe.

I've been in JNU for many decades, since childhood.

No issue with 16's. And for your next question, put some 285/75's on them and call it a day.

Looking good, and sounds like a decent deal unless it's very high miles. The newer 2005+ 100 series have some significant powertrain upgrades over the earlier ones, I believe.

I've been in JNU for many decades, since childhood.

No issue with 16's. And for your next question, put some 285/75's on them and call it a day.
I was thinking 255/85R16. I like the cookie cutters.

16's are great if you want a tall sidewall. Unfortunately most, if not all, 16" A/T's in the 100 series spectrum are E rated which means they are heavy and will make for a stiffer ride. If hard core wheeling is your thing, 16's make sense. There aren't a lot of 16" tire choices, 285/75's are the most common and inexpensive, and they look good and work well on 100's, hence why I suggested them.

16's are great if you want a tall sidewall. Unfortunately most, if not all, 16" A/T's in the 100 series spectrum are E rated which means they are heavy and will make for a stiffer ride. If hard core wheeling is your thing, 16's make sense. There aren't a lot of 16" tire choices, 285/75's are the most common and inexpensive, and they look good and work well on 100's, hence why I suggested them.
So now I’m curious if a 33” tire in 16s with E rating will flex enough to be as soft/softer than an an equivalent diameter tire on 18s that isn’t a 10-ply heavy duty tire when both are aired down appropriately. If there’s little to no improvement to be had then it isn’t worth my time and money. Maybe I go with something like a used set 265/70R18 for now and check out the ride comfort before taking the plunge in changing out rims.

Just my two cents but I've never had a single air down/side wall issue running my stock 18's with 275/70s (typicallly aired down to somewhere between 15psi and 20psi). Is there anything in particular you plan on doing that you would absolutely need the extra sidewall? If its going to be an outdoor/hunting/fishing rig and not a dedicated rock machine then I think that money could be better spent elsewhere, especially with 300k+ miles, unless you just don't really care for those wheels.

So now I’m curious if a 33” tire in 16s with E rating will flex enough to be as soft/softer than an an equivalent diameter tire on 18s that isn’t a 10-ply heavy duty tire when both are aired down appropriately. If there’s little to no improvement to be had then it isn’t worth my time and money. Maybe I go with something like a used set 265/70R18 for now and check out the ride comfort before taking the plunge in changing out rims.

The majority of 275/70/18's (most common 18" size fitted to 100's) are E rated as well since they were designed for heavy pickups. 265/70's have a bit more choice as far as load range goes. If you aren't doing anything wild a C load will do you just fine, be lighter and offer a better ride.

I just picked up a set of 18s so I could get into a 33 inch tire in SL or load range C. Holding onto my 16s in case I want to go back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom