Downey's fuel injection? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, this is my first post here and I will be picking up my 1980 FJ40 this afternoon for the first time. I can hardly sit still here at work. :bounce:

It currently has a Downey ceramic header and a Weaber carb on a stock(?) 2F powerplant, 4" Skyjacker leafs, and 35" MT's. It will be my daily driver to work and such.

Downey claims that with their fuel injection kit, the FJ can get up to 20-22mpg and more power. I certianly don't expect to get that milage with 35's though. It looks as though the complete kit is pretty complete and cost somewhere around $1100.

I assume that it us using a GM style throttle body injection? Has anyone used this kit and what did you think about it. How about emmissions legality?

Thanks a ton!!

I recall when I looked at there web site that their inhjction kit did not meet Emissions requirements for CA. But your in Texas so it may pass their. FYI- Man-A-Fre also has a TBI kit as well.
Since you are just getting your FJ40 drive it for a while and consider converting it back to the stock carb. Jim C. (Do a search) or Mark at MArks off road could probably hook you up with one.
AS far as gas Mileage buy a honda or a small toyota the FJ's don't do that well.

Carbs

Well, carbs and I haven't gotten along so well in the past. I was at war with the Webber in my '83 Toyota PU and the Edelbrock in my '80 Jeep CJ over the years. I guess that I am just no good at tuning them well, but I would love to learn!

I also like the idea of not worring about the altitude changes. Do you or can you just swap the jets in the Webber to compensate for that?

spike6901 said:
Well, carbs and I haven't gotten along so well in the past. I was at war with the Webber in my '83 Toyota PU and the Edelbrock in my '80 Jeep CJ over the years. I guess that I am just no good at tuning them well, but I would love to learn!

I also like the idea of not worring about the altitude changes. Do you or can you just swap the jets in the Webber to compensate for that?

Edelbrock carbs are made by Weber, BTW, and all include an excellently written manual on tuning the carb.

The Aisin carb (stock carb) is a well made carb if it's kept in good repair. If you don't have emissions requirements where you live, then having the smog equipment removed simplifies the carb GREATLY.

Jim C rebuilt my carb a few years ago, and its more powerful, and gets me better gas mileage. I have a 76 FJ40 set up similarly to yours, and I get 14-16 mpg pretty consistantly, and that is good for an FJ40.

Just my 1/50 of a dollar.
YMMV

-James

if you want to put EFI together yourself you can get the stuff you need from a junk yard for around $300 and Mike Smythe was making the adapter that you need not sure if he is making runs on it or not right now, but I have seen one and it is sweet.

As far as webers go, I have one and like it, I have tuned it really well. My truck is DD and is a SO 40 on 35's and I get 15mpg to and from work, 60 miles a day. It wheels well, as I lowered the float level, works about as well as any aisin but carbs in general kinda piss me off. I"m going EFI as soon as I can get my act together.

If you are going to wheel hard work the EFI, otherwise see how you can do on your weber. People swear by aisin's, that would prolly be the easiest route, as far as finding a carb and sending it to Jim. I'm not going back to mine because I have the bunk one that has issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom