Downey power steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

db

Threads
Picked up a downey power steering kit from a friend for next to nothing. I need some feedback on which gearbox to use. I have reasearched it and i have downey's directions but would like see what box works best. I have a 1970 FJ40 with a 1990 tbi 350 running 35's. Also I have been told almost all pump's will work with different gearboxes as long as they are same manufactor. If this is true i can use the new pump i have from the 1990 and it will bolt in with no mod's needed. All feedback is appreciated.

derek

The GM saginaw pump you have will work fine, regardless of the box...the only issue may be the type of fitting for the pressure line. IIRC, '90 will be the o-ring type...I personally prefer the pipe-thread type fittings myself. You can keep the pump installed tho and just swap out the "big 'ol nut" off the back...they all interchange. Determine what's needed by what box you choose.

Box ideas...there are a pile of them. I have the Scout and am overall very pleased. 60-series is almost identical. I'm not a fan of the GM-saginaw boxes since they are located in the frame-horn "space" and take up valuable winch room, plus they require a hole/sleeve in the frame crossmember.

I'm not a fan of the minitruck conversion, since it keeps the center arm...IMO, ditching that is major plus with the GM/Scout/FJ60 PS conversions.

[quote author=woody link=board=1;threadid=4505;start=msg33736#msg33736 date=1061478847]
I'm not a fan of the minitruck conversion, since it keeps the center arm...IMO, ditching that is major plus with the GM/Scout/FJ60 PS conversions.
[/quote]I agree with woody. Ditch the center arm. Use the pump that goes with your motor.
My opinion differs on the box but I haven't tried any others. We have saginaws in our front frame rails and are absolutely pleased with the fit and performance. One of the things we like about it is the fact that it isn't crammed into the engine compartment. It is also readily available anywhere because it is the most common power steering box. As for winch space it does make it tight but not impossible. Read the thread "power steering conversion" started by sambudo. Good discussion.

I hate to say it but I think mini truck is the way to go. Much easier and cheaper install. It will turn any size wheels you have while giving MUCH better on road manners. In keeping the stock Ctr arm assy, you do add a few links into the system but, if they are in good shape and maintained then your are fine. Those links also serve a purpose. For me, the best part of it is that it "feels" right.
On my off road only truck I run the saginaw and love it. Very quick and very powerful. So powerful that I have bent rods. Sorta hard to drive on the hwy.
FWIIW: I think 80%-90% of cruiser owners will be happier with the mini set up. If saginaw is your plan just dont destroy your ft crossmember. No need to buy a kit. All the stuff is avail and cheaper when purchased item by item.

one big issue with the minitruck conversion...the relay rod between the minitruck (or stock) box to the center arm is easily contacted when you go to tires larger than 33"...and even 33"s will hit it. Running 35-36-38" tires and that contact can mean a sidewall tear...I've WATCHED it happen on a set of 33's twice...owner twists up the suspension some, turns hard, applys a bit of throttle, and "ppppsssssssssss"...out comes the air and a nice tear in the sidewall.

With other components in good shape and a light wheeler/street rig, it's fine. For a more serious wheeling rig, I'm still not a fan.

Woody, I agree 100% with you. That is why I said 80%-90% of owners. I love the saginaw on my off road 40 but I have found that over the years I have come to hate driving it on the road. Very "twitchy" on road but I will admit I have a very close ratio box and a hi pressure pump....I will admit that I love the one finger steering on rocks!

adjust your pitman arm length....I just shortened mine on my Scout box and it now requires the full 4.25 turns to hit lock-to-lock. Before, it was about 3-3.5, which was quick. Now it almost seems slow.

Pull the tie rod end off the pitman and with the front axle on jackstands, cycle the axle side to side and the pitman as well. It "ought" to require full pitman swing. Takes some guesswork and measureing, I went from a 7" pitman to about 6.25" or so...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom