Downey Headers w/ EGR cooler? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has any one used Downeys headers and used the brackets and parts for the EGR cooler? I would love to see some pics.
325-10-big.jpg

I have sold and installed several of these headers. Do you have a specific question. The installation is pretty straightforward, with just a couple of precautions.

FIrst, use EXTREME care when disassembling the EGR valve from the stock pipes. Some models are threaded and can break off if you are not careful during disassembly.

Second, I have found with EVERY installation that the flex pipe provided with the kit is too long and have trimmed close to an inch off of each end of the pipe.

Hth

:)

When I purchased my headers 8 years ago, I did not purchase them with these items. I was interested on how they were fitted as I am re-smogging my 40.
-Duane

If you are running the mini truck power steering conversion, the relocated EGR cooler is EXTREMELY CLOSE to the steering box, like less than 1/2" away. :eek:

If you bought the standard header without the EGR pipe, you can't just add the pipe on; it is a special fitting that was fitted to the header at the factory.

ALso, I doubt that Downey would issue the E.O. exemption sticker if you just bought the add-on parts, but I don't know that for sure.

It's the same header as in the pic. I have Saginaw PS.
Anyone have some pics?
-Duane

I hear about "clearance issues" with the steering box when running this type of header and using the EGR (CA '77 FJ55). Can anyone elaborate? Photos would help... I HAVE to get rid of my "Therm(onuclear) reactor" exhaust manifold, but I need to keep my EGR functional. Are there any options out there?

nial

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom