Downey adapter for 700r4 - anyone have one? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Downey adapter for 700r4 - anyone used one?

I am going to buy either the AA or Downey 700r4 adapter for my 1987 FJ60. I already have a motor/tranny combo that I bought for another project (sold the project). To me the motor/tranny is free since I already spent the money on it a few years ago. With this in mind I do not intend to use any other motor/tranny combos (unless someone has a ranger and parts necessary to connect to my 4spd for sale cheap!), so I am looking for any experience good or bad that anyone has with either the Advance Adapter (which I understand is made by Marks) or the Downey adapter.

I have talked to both places and can't get a real good feel for which is better. The guy at downey sounded like the owner and designer. He talked to me at length about the adapter design and what I needed to use it. I was very pleased with his information and patience.

Any comments appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Also, anyone in Denver that has a completed conversion that I could check out - manual or automatic - I would love to see it! Especially if you have a working a/c setup post conversion.

Last edited:
I don't know if this will help or not. I have a FJ60. It came with a swapped in Chevy 350, and a 700r4 mated to atoyota case. The adapter was an Advanced Adapter set up. The tranny blew up. My transmission guy tore it apart and found out that in order to use a 700r4 tranny with a Toyota case you have to use a 2wd tail for the transmission. In fact I could have bought a 2wd 700r4 transmission to replace the blown one. IN HIS OPINION and this guy works on automatic trannys exclusively, a 2wd 700r4 tranny will not hold up to the weight (vehicle) combined with the horsepower of a V8. This guy says that rebuilding 700r4 trannies has paid for his kids college tuition. So I bought a TH400 and the new adapter. No problems since. Gearing is a little low and I might go with an overdrive set up behind it all. I don't know. Hope that helps.

you have pm...

Does the TH400 have a locking TC?

The early 700R4 trannies had some deign problems that were corrected in later model years. That is what I plan to use when I do my V8 swap.

Andrew

NVFJ60 said:
I don't know if this will help or not. I have a FJ60. It came with a swapped in Chevy 350, and a 700r4 mated to atoyota case. The adapter was an Advanced Adapter set up. The tranny blew up. My transmission guy tore it apart and found out that in order to use a 700r4 tranny with a Toyota case you have to use a 2wd tail for the transmission. In fact I could have bought a 2wd 700r4 transmission to replace the blown one. IN HIS OPINION and this guy works on automatic trannys exclusively, a 2wd 700r4 tranny will not hold up to the weight (vehicle) combined with the horsepower of a V8. This guy says that rebuilding 700r4 trannies has paid for his kids college tuition. So I bought a TH400 and the new adapter. No problems since. Gearing is a little low and I might go with an overdrive set up behind it all. I don't know. Hope that helps.

Turtle -
My '84 has a 4L60E & Downey adapter. It was a 4WD trans & had to be converted to a 2WD for the install. Same trans as the 700R4 except it is computer-controlled.

I've NEVER heard of any durability/reliability problems with the 700R4/4L60E & FJ60s don't weigh as much as Yukons or Suburbans.

I work in Castle Rock & live outside Larkspur.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom