Downey 4" springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone out there installed the Downey 4" springs? What are the pros and cons?
If not Downey, then what?
Thanks,:banana:

I have 4inch rears and love them they flex great

I don't have any complaints with mine...............stiff but a little time made them relax. my favorite part is I can buy one spring in case some lunatic rearends me and jacks up my leaf.................

Curious....why did you go with the Downey vs the other brands?

I don't have them on mine-yet-but picked them for mine.My buddy has them on his '71 and loves them. He had Black Diamond and they were so D*#m stiff you didn't need to go to the dentist because driving the thing would rattle any loose teeth right out (very stiff and poppy) and we had done our part to work them in before he threw in the towel. The Downey gives good flex for a weekend wheeler and also rides good on the road-plus you can't beat the price when compared to some other kits.

I have offered the same leaf springs as Downey for over 8 years now, and finally got around to installing a set on my own FJ40 last year. I found them to be super-flexy, so much so that they scared me a little at first compared to the MAF heavy-duty springs I had on before that.

In other words, I like them.;)

Best

Mark A.

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the good information. I'm going fo the Downeys. They are local in SOCAL.

I'm running Downey 4" springs and their 1.5" over stock rubicon shackles. They have perfect shackle angle and a relatively soft, flexy ride. My only complaint is that they are slightly narrower than stock springs and I had to search around for awhile to get the proper bushings to get the shackle sideplates parallel.

Got any pics. Any clue why they are narrower? I was told that they are made to Toyota's specs?... Any anyway, thanks and were did you end gettin the bushings?

You can read about my experiences (and see pics) here:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=45757

I ran stock length shackle in front. I also had to screw around with bushings to get things lined up. I then added 4 degree shims after measuring caster at the alignment shop and coming up with ~ negative 1 degree.

You can read more about that here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=151088

I think the shims made the front springs ride better.

I noticed the rear springs rode very nicely with a little weight in the rear. I brought camping gear and tools to Moab and the 40 rode quite nicely...

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom