Down/Up Hill Assist on LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone know why these are not offered on the current 100? I see it is now even available on the new Rav 4 as well as the Runner and GX. Maybe it has something to do with the weight of the LC, but the GX470 is only about 600 pounds lighter. Anyone have any experience using DAC/UAC with other Toyota vehicles and if so, are these just worthless marketing gadgets or do they actually provide real off-road value?

Just hard to imagine why the new 100 would not have these standard?

Last edited:
It's just b/c those other models are newer, they benfit from the latest upgrades.

DAC is pretty useful at times. It basically uses your ABS for low speed control. ATRAC does the same thing except w/ the accelerator. It's all using the ABS system creatively and not just for stopping control.

HAC is not , imo. HAC just holds you from going backwards when you release the brake. More control if you just two pedal it.

Maybe not in the LC b/c of the elect brake force dist and all the other stuff tied together. I'm sure it will be on the new LC

I dont think you're missing too much

flyfish4life said:
Anyone know why these are not offered on the current 100? I see it is now even available on the new Rav 4 as well as the Runner and GX. Maybe it has something to do with the weight of the LC, but the GX470 is only about 600 pounds lighter. Anyone have any experience using DAC/UAC with other Toyota vehicles and if so, are these just worthless marketing gadgets or do they actually provide real off-road value?

Just hard to imagine why the new 100 would not have these standard?

Toyota seems to do things backward? These are great features and really work. You would think Toyota would put them on the LC/LX first or at least at the same time they put them on the cheaper SUV's. I didn't realize they weren't offered on the 2004 and up LC/LX. Just makes it obvious that you would be just as happy buying a used LC/LX versus a new one.

They weren't available when the 100 was introduced, and the cost/effort to retrofit them was obviously more than Mr. T wanted to devote. I'm sure they'll all be integrated (plus probably some new stuff the others don't have) when the new model is introduced. I for one haven't missed them, nor have I ever used them on the GX.

The cost for this is minimal, the vehical has all the required components, it's just that Mr T hasn't turned the program on in the ECU in that particular model, same for TRAC, VSC etc. No extra cost to produce, just turn the program on or off, I wish someone knew how to do it. The vehicles are wired for it and have the switch positions etc, this came out in the later 2003 LC model in OZ IIRC

100 TD said:
The cost for this is minimal, the vehical has all the required components, it's just that Mr T hasn't turned the program on in the ECU in that particular model, same for TRAC, VSC etc. No extra cost to produce, just turn the program on or off, I wish someone knew how to do it. The vehicles are wired for it and have the switch positions etc, this came out in the later 2003 LC model in OZ IIRC

That is not a good sign. If Toyota was going to reuse any of the current LC/LX design in the new LC/LX they would of made these upgrades to the current design. Me thinks :)

SWUtah said:
That is not a good sign. If Toyota was going to reuse any of the current LC/LX design in the new LC/LX they would of made these upgrades to the current design. Me thinks :)

Just find it strange with all of the 2006 enhancements (VVTi, tire pressure system, active heigth control/variable suspension and minor exterior revisions) Mr. T can't push the button on ABS to include these off-road enhancements. Even the LX doesn't have it, which is even more suprising. They implment DAC on a friggin' Rav 4, but not a $70K LX or Toyota's purported flagship SUV, the LC?

As a side note, I do think the '06 revisions buy the current LC another two-three model years. Read on another forum that the Toyota reps at the LA auto show said Toy's president (US or Japan?) drives the LC and thinks its perfect the way it is. Gas price uncertainty, etc. and obvious overlap within the Toyota/Lexus SUV line up can't be expediting matters. I guestimate the next generation to be MY '09 at the earliest.

Alright you Toyota experts, Toyota could do it for a couple of pennies a rig...they just choose not to to piss you off! :flipoff2:

flyfish4life,
does the 100 have electric brake force dist? The 4Runner, etc, have a extra large brake resv and it is somehow electrically "boosted". You can hear it "charge" when you start up.

I am going to guess this has something to do with all the gadgets. Maybe it keeps things cool for dac, etc to go for awhile (it is possible to overheat the system and make it stop working for a bit). I'm just guessing on this, just throwing some ideas at you.

Seems to make sense the computer could be turned on etc... maybe ATLcrusher can verify the ABS wheel sensors are the same and all the same wires/plugs, same brake resv system, etc.

I think the new LC is suppossed to be next year or so?

AS I said earlier, this is already in LC's in OZ if i'm correct in late 2003, if you search this forum you will find it is also in UAE and UK probably, there are so many features in each vehicle in each different part of the world, turned on or off, or installed or not installed, it is unreal, just stick your head under the bonnet or dash and see how many unused connectors there are!!!!!!!!!

By the way, my 2003 has the wiring for automatic height control suspension and relay positions and fuses installed but no AHC, just like lots of other rigs out there. AHC is an added expense though, not like turning a function like VSC, TRAC, DAC/UAC etc etc on or off in the ECU.

FirstToy said:
flyfish4life,
does the 100 have electric brake force dist? The 4Runner, etc, have a extra large brake resv and it is somehow electrically "boosted". You can hear it "charge" when you start up.

I am going to guess this has something to do with all the gadgets. Maybe it keeps things cool for dac, etc to go for awhile (it is possible to overheat the system and make it stop working for a bit). I'm just guessing on this, just throwing some ideas at you.

Seems to make sense the computer could be turned on etc... maybe ATLcrusher can verify the ABS wheel sensors are the same and all the same wires/plugs, same brake resv system, etc.

I think the new LC is suppossed to be next year or so?

Both the LC and 4-Runner have EBD, but there appear to be slight differences in the braking systems, which may be the reason? From the Toyota web site....

Land Cruiser - Brakes: Power-assisted 4-piston front/2-piston rear ventilated disc brakes with hydraulic brake booster with Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist [1]; ABS operates in high and low ranges

4-Runner - Brakes: Power-assisted 4-wheel ventilated disc brakes with 4-wheel Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist [2]

I'm aware of many of the extra "goodies" that we don't get. My point is that the Toyota engineers undoubtedly know more about these vehicles than the "experts" on this board - sorry, it's just gotta be true.

See my original post:

ATLcrusher said:
Alright you Toyota experts, Toyota could do it for a couple of pennies a rig...they just choose not to to piss you off! :flipoff2:

(and we were talking specifically about the DAC/UAC stuff)

I had an 03 4Runner LTD V8 and have mixed feelings about DAC/UAC. The UAC was a bit of a gimmick to me, but had some merit. On a steep incline the suv still rolled back a bit.

I used the DAC effectively on a hill during a snow storm. I made the decent safely where as other vehicles were in the ditches on either side - including a CJ-5. But what a racket - the DAC pumps the ABS rapidly, so it is jerky and loud. The hill was steep enough that it passed the time limit (about 20 sec) and the beepers started going. The suv tracked straight, I was able to use the throttle a bit to steer around things then sit back in DAC.

I did not go back and try the LC for a direct comparison, but in low4 with patience, I believe the LC would have been just as safe without all the jerks and noise. My experience with driving in snow and mountains (Blue Ridge and Rocky Mtns) with the LC is that it is remarkably "uneventful" in handling the conditions.

from reading here i think guys like christo and the like know as much or more then toyota techs who designed the vehicle. the guys on this board study this car......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom