Down the rabbit hole

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wanted to post an update of the (limited) progress on my 40. It's been like an attempt to upgrade an old computer CPU. To change the CPU, you need to change the motherboard, because the architecture differs, which then requires you to change the memory, and the power supply, etc. etc. Every time I start on one project, I find there is either a tool or part I need to complete the job, so as a result I've managed to do about half of the job on just about everything. Other than flipping the bezel, and tapping the bezel mounting holes (they were stripped out, so I drilled and tapped them to M7x1) it feels like all I have done is dis-assembly and very little assembly.

Removed the extended shackle, and replaced with stock. Removed the add-a-leafs from the springs, the one in the rear was HUGE, it barely flexed when I stood on it. Not sure why that was there unless someone was towing a trailer with a heavy tongue? removed the shims from the axles as well, the front one was in the wrong direction (SOA, with no cut-and-turn), fixing the pinion angle, and wrecking the caster.

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr271/diskord_/landcruiser/0_5273_sm.jpg

Parking brake: total R&R, the original looked as if someone took a pry-bar to it between the backing plate and the drum. I still have the original, hopefully I can hammer out the backing plate to have a spare. Also installed the new o-rings in the speedo drive.

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr271/diskord_/landcruiser/0_5162_sm.jpg

Cheap-O electric fuel pump removed, along with the associated plumbing and wiring. Installed new mechanical pump, working on the plumbing now. Though that is being made more difficult due to the fact that the rig has an aux tank in the rear, no stock tank, and fuel lines have never been run properly. By properly I mean hardlines, bent properly and mounted securely. I'm figuring out how/where to mount the lines, though I think I have it sussed out now, I just need to make my own mounting clips to complete the installation.

Replaced the leaking brake master cylinder, water pump, plugs and plug wires, radiator hoses, thermostat & water neck.

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr271/diskord_/landcruiser/0_5285_sm.jpg

Discovered the oil filter mount was attached to the block using fat lock washers, which caused the bolt heads to stick out far enough that they prevented the oil filter from sealing properly.

Removed all sorts of poor extraneous wiring, the tank sender had a length of solid core wire in the harness, attached with a wire nut??! relocated the tach from the upper left corner of the roll cage, to the steering column. relocated the fuel gauge (someone thought it was a good idea to screw it through the lower dash pad.

Shifter: I think the one that was in the tranny was a 3-speed shifter from the Toyota transmission, its construction is significantly different from the two shifters I found at pink-N-pull. Regardless of the make, the original was bent up so much, 1st was practically in the dash. The shorter one is what was in it, the longer is out of a early 70's Chevy pickup, courtesy of Pick N Pull.

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr271/diskord_/landcruiser/00_5252_sm.jpg

Battery: need to relocate into the back into the engine
compartment. The relocation to under the drivers seat was a total hack job,ill likely end up replacing the entire floor on the left side. battery tray from Man-A-Fre is unfortunately backordered, going on one month now. Also corrected the seat mounts somewhat. Some of the mounts were simply bolted through the sheet metal floor, no additional support, not even a washer. The seat would likely just rip out of the floor if it came to it.

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr271/diskord_/landcruiser/0_5228_sm.jpg

Picked up a Taurus fan for the conversion, which I found out will not fit. The SBC has a long water pump on it, not enough room for the Taurus fan, nor even for a mechanical clutch/fan. I'll either need to change to a short pump, and then likely need to change the pulleys and alt mounting, OR run a slimline electric fan from Summit. Most likely I will switch to the short pump so that I can use the Taurus e-fan.

Drivelines: Discovered U-joints missing the zerk fitting. Then discovered that the u joints were put in backwards, preventing a zerk fitting from being installed removed, u-joints replaced, checked and balanced

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr271/diskord_/landcruiser/0_5284_sm.jpg

Pinion flange for rear moved slightly on the pinion. Though the nut was staked down, the torque on this was no where near the 150ft-lb mark. Found out that its a fine spline pinion (27 spline) from out of a late 90's FJ80? (Thanks to Kurt for his assistance). Hopefully putting the new pinion flange on with the proper torque will fix this. I don't have high hopes on this as I am sure both the pinion and flange were deformed due to the lack of torque on the pinion nut.

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr271/diskord_/landcruiser/100_5279.jpg

I am still planning on being on the road at the end of June, provided I receive the battery tray...who knows at this rate though.

The truck in the first pic looks really nice - keep up the good work!

I bought my 1979 in 1981 so that gave my PO verry little time to do his nasty deeds.

As it was though, I still had butchered oil filler plugs to replace, a big perspex air deflector to unbolt from my hood (and those holes to fill), a heavy roofrack and a bullbar to remove, an aftermarket cigarette lighter to remove, dodgy wiring to fix from the lighter, radio and CB installations, holes to fill in the bodywork from a rough A/C installation job, etc etc.

Nothing like as much work as you get when your cruiser's POs have had decades to perform their indecent acts though (as your list here no doubt testifys).

You're doing a great job there Diskord. :clap:

:cheers:

Diskord said:
Parking brake: total R&R, the original looked as if someone took a pry-bar to it between the backing plate and the drum. I still have the original, hopefully I can hammer out the backing plate to have a spare. Also installed the new o-rings in the speedo drive.

0_5162_sm.jpg

I did that once wheeling w/o a skid plate, caught that lip on a rock repositioning for an obstacle. Didn't realize it until I smelled what I thought was the guy ahead of me's clutch on the trail back to camp, it didn't seize until I stopped. What a PITA, make sure to add a skid plate if you haven't already ;). Sounds like good progress BTW -

Tucker

with play in the pinion flange check to see if there is something wrong inside the diff. I just went through this myself in my 62. my pinion was shot. I had metal shavings in the oil and everything. unless something wears out after these flanges are set there isn't really a good reason to get loose and just tightening it down can throw off preload on the ring and pinion. somebody with better third member set up knowledge may correct me on that but I'd double check internals before just tightening it up. my 2cents

franklin40 said:
with play in the pinion flange check to see if there is something wrong inside the diff. I just went through this myself in my 62. my pinion was shot. I had metal shavings in the oil and everything. unless something wears out after these flanges are set there isn't really a good reason to get loose and just tightening it down can throw off preload on the ring and pinion. somebody with better third member set up knowledge may correct me on that but I'd double check internals before just tightening it up. my 2cents
R
Yep I know, unfortunately. I'm just hoping the rear end isn't boned, but realistically it stands to reason something isn't right in there. Though I would like to just put the pinion flange on and call it good, my anal nature won't let me. I'll be taking it apart to check it out.

Sent from Cygnus X1 on the ship Rocinante

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom