Down the rabbit hole... 1995 FJ80 Progress Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Congrats. Nice cruiser. Was this the moonglow pearl cruiser listed on craigslist? If so, score with the cloth seats.

Love that color, and the price. I’d call that a score. Truck seems to be in good shape. Congratulations

Start driving it, change fluids, make your lists.

I always do every vehicle in order:
Make it run
Make it stop
Make it go
Make it safe
Make it reliable
Make it pretty

Use that to prioritize your list.

That's a good way to go about it!

Only thing that is preventing me from driving it is right now when I slow down or brake, I can see the RPM just drops until it stalls. Starts right up right after and if I keep giving it gas- it will keep it from stalling. That's my major one to solve at the same time to get the gaskets/seals replaced with fresh OEM fluids so I would be able to drive it once again.
Look first at intake hose from filter to throttle body and vacuum hoses. Cracks or leaks in those will cause lots of unmetered air and will cause it to die at idle.

1593102108122.png

Last edited:
Nice 80 series! Nice score! That Toyota dealer in Phoenix would be Camelback Toyota. Looks like the Back is gone on your sticker. Looks really clean inside and out! The engine bay looks great. Just drive it a little and it'll tell you whats needed. Make sure the brakes and fluid are good. Do a coolant flush if you don't have records of it. Then do a baseline of maintenance as required per your maintenance history records. Also, get that VSS fixed. Might be causing the stalling you are experiencing. And follow @biltforme advice on the air intake hose and vacuum hoses etc.

If there is enough wire on the sensor side you could try a wiring connector or solder. I don't see the wire that's broken on the sensor side so the VSS may have to be replaced. Not sure if that will fix your stalling idle issue but I've seen that cause stalling idle issues in other vehicles. My brother just went through the same issue on his Mustang. Actually looking at your pic again you might have to replace the pigtail. If you can get to where the wire broke off on the connector you could try to fix it by joining the broken wire.

The dirt grease on the 2 front tires would be the knuckles. You can post a couple of pics of them. Its normal for them to have a little grease on the balls, but if there is grease or oil dripping on the ground or the inside of the tires then you will need to replace the inner axle seals and repack the Birfs. A right of passage for solid axle Toyota owners!

yeah it seems short on the photo as the rubber covering was pulled off the sensor so I can try fitting the rubber cover back in place and it should give me some extra slack to see if I can try connecting them together.
You can try cleaning the knuckles. Don't do anything with the balls. There's a fill plug on the top of the knuckle to add grease. You'll have to remove the wheels to gain access. Get a grease gun with some moly grease.

No grease or oil is dripping on the ground at all- just a gunk of grease/dirt mixed on the bottom part of the inside of the tire.

Should I clean that off to see if it keeps coming out as it looks like it built up over time. The previous owner had a nice long driveway of dirt road leading up to their house so that may explain where the dirt build came up over the years.

I'll search this forum for more information on how to do the seals and repack the Birds and see if that is something that I am able to do myself.

You can try to clean up the knuckles. It's normal for grease and dirt to build up on them. There's a fill plug at the top of the knuckles to add grease. Get some moly grease and fill them about half way. You'll have to remove the wheels to gain access to the plug.

You can try to clean up the knuckles. It's normal for grease and dirt to build up on them. There's a fill plug at the top of the knuckles to add grease. Get some moly grease and fill them about half way. You'll have to remove the wheels to gain access to the plug.
Don't have to remove the wheels to access the plug. It does help if you turn them to the left or right for better access, but still not necessary.

I just read up on that! The only way is to find out if the seals has failed is if it clicks on turning?

No. The clicking indicates a worn birfield joint.
Worn internal seal are evidence by having oil dripping from the bottom of the knuckle housing onto the inside of the tires or the ground.

Normal is a shiny greasy surface on the ball with a ridge of dirty grease piled on the face of the knuckle housing facing the inside of the truck.

If the balls are dry and rusty you need grease in the knuckles and need to check oil level in the differential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom