Dove season opening weekend (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would always scream "Boom Head shot" when shooting my dangerous enemy squirrels.

I just talked to a friend who is helping host a dove shoot this year and they have 4 spots open. If anyone is interested let me know. The only way that I know to make this fair is the first four that respond get the spots. The only info I have right now is that the shoot will be in springville it is $30 a person 12 and under are free. We want be serving lunch but we do plan on having a golf cart driving around with water on it. I'm not sure how good it will be cause this is everybody's first year at doing this. My friend and I plan on taking our throwers and a few cases of clays just in case it does suck. Shooting will start at noon and when I get the rest of the info I will post it here and/or pm the people who got the spots. Oh yeah the land owner in a minister so you need to be on your best DLC behavior and he has talked to a game warden on how to do this right so I won't be surprised to see him on Saturday. That being said bring your orange and your lic. Sorry this is all over the place but the total number should be around 30 people. And the four spots will not be given to one person to bring three friends but if you want to bring your child or your grandchild that will be fine just refer back to the top for pricing.

Sign me up along with my 10 year old grandson. That should be for one spot. Will PM phone number if needed.

I want to get a high powered BB gun for squirrels and learn to make some killer stew.

How about this? Today on Woot! http://sport.woot.com/offers/gamo-varmint-stalker-deluxe-air-rifle-1

badd14ef-76b7-413e-b67e-c2a76a90cc86.png

What do you think of someone that let's a dove land in a tree over his head and does not see a thing? Cell phone rings and a guy named "French" tells you to look straight over your head? You wave your arms, bird flys off, shoot and it falls. That's right in there with a story of shooting three birds with one shot.

Best and most interesting call I've had in a very long time. Will add it to the list of unusual things that have happened in my life.

Not many birds but had a great day thanks to Brad Morrison and French for making it happen.

Good people and good times!

Last edited:
What do you think of someone that let's a dove land in a tree over his head and does not see a thing? Cell phone rings and a guy named "French" tells you to look straight over your head? You wave your arms, bird flys off, shoot and it falls. That's right in there with a story of shooting three birds with one shot.

Best and most interesting call I've had in a very long time. Will add it to the list of unusual things that have happened in my life.

Not many birds but had a great day thanks to Brad Morrison and French for making it happen.

I'm glad you and your grandson were able to come. I'm sorry the birds didn't fly more than they did. After y'all left it kept looking like they were about to start really moving and there would be maybe 5 minutes of good shooting then it would dye off for 30 minutes or so. I was talking to the property owner when we were done and he is going to let the fields sit with little traffic on them this week to hopefully bring the birds in and then try and figure out another day to do it again. He said that he didn't feel like we got our monies worth so French and John if y'all are able to go you want have to pay this next round. When I find out some info I will pass it along to you. Even though the shooting was slow I hope everyone still had fun I know I did it was better than watching Auburn get destroyed by Miss State.:censor:

lol, that's awesome.

Let us know when he feels like having another. The next one might be a "barn burner"! (lots of birds) His barn is safe.

Best weather I've seen for opening day and I'm splitting my time between baseball in the morning and soccer in Huntsville all afternoon.

SMDH

Please someone tell me they went and there was still nothing flying in spite of the perfect temps so I won't be as angry

Best weather I've seen for opening day and I'm splitting my time between baseball in the morning and soccer in Huntsville all afternoon.

SMDH

Please someone tell me they went and there was still nothing flying in spite of the perfect temps so I won't be as angry

I didn't go opening weekend in AL, but I believe that I did hear from a few people that there were few/no birds because of the front, so you probably didn't miss out.

I did go on Sunday of opening weekend in GA (which was Labor Day weekend) and it was a bust, probably attributed to a bit of a front that came through Saturday night, and that they shot a good number of birds in the same field the day before. I went yesterday up in Blount County and we had a good shoot.

Have taken my grandson on two this year. Alabama Youth Dove Hunts sponsored by the State of Alabama. One was ok and the other was a water haul.

They are held every year for 1-2 boys/girls under sixteen and an adult sponsor. There is one in DeKalb County today at 1:30 needing shooters. Just north of Gadsden near Collinsville. Some have been a lot of fun and it's a very good thing for young people. Weather will be perfect and if you are lucky there will be birds. There will be plenty of room for additional hunters. Hopefully others are planned for later. Everyone we've been on there were always people arriving that signed up on site rather than on the web site.

RELACS

Hunt Information:
Hunt Date & Start Time: Sep 26 2015 1:30PM
County: DeKalb
Field Name: Dennis Myers CO RD 51
Field Description: Take I-59 exit 205 Go approximately 1 mile to the BP station. Turn Right on County road 51, Go approx. 1/2 mile fields will be on the left. Look for Youth Dove Hunt signs. ADDRESS 11948 COUNTY ROAD 51, COLLINSVILLE AL,
Google Map Link: https://www.google.com/maps/dir//11948+Co+Rd+51,+Collinsville,+AL+35961/@34.2859921,-85.8708496,3875m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m13!1m4!3m3!1s0x888a724240f01ccd:0x70e27f42b0b6f3dc!2s11948+Co+Rd+51,+Collinsville,+AL+35961!3b1!4m7!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x888a724240f01ccd:0x70e27f42b0b6f3dc!2m2!1d-85.875596!2d34.28564?hl=en
DCNR Contact Information: District II office: 256-435-5422

Any dove hunts this year?

I'm thinking of going up to the opening day at Swan Creek WMA by Decatur if I can't find anything else. I went the weekend after opening weekend last year and it was absolutely dead, but I did talk to a guy there who had been the prior week and he said they had a good shoot. He also said it didn't seem to be as crowded as years past.

I'm thinking of going up to the opening day at Swan Creek WMA by Decatur if I can't find anything else. I went the weekend after opening weekend last year and it was absolutely dead, but I did talk to a guy there who had been the prior week and he said they had a good shoot. He also said it didn't seem to be as crowded as years past.
The last two dove fields I planted during the summer at our place in Perry Co. where destroyed by our deer. Most of the farmers I know in the Black Belt dont bother with dove season anymore.

The last two dove fields I planted during the summer at our place in Perry Co. where destroyed by our deer. Most of the farmers I know in the Black Belt dont bother with dove season anymore.
What are the dates for the Alabama dove season?

What are the dates for the Alabama dove season?

Northern region (which is basically every county except the five southern-most counties in the state) opens Sept 7th, southern region opens Sept 15th.

Northern region (which is basically every county except the five southern-most counties in the state) opens Sept 7th, southern region opens Sept 15th.
I assume it goes out in late September and returns later in the Fall?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom