Builds DougCruiser build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Report back once you have had time to test out the shiftpod. I was checking them out but the material looks weak, does it seem solid so far?
We took it on a trip a few weeks ago in Utah. It held up very well in dry weather with light wind. The second night we used it, it rained nonstop from the time it went up until we took it down with ~30-40* temps and there was a ton a condensation with all the windows open. It was similar to how my old RTT performed. No water ingress, but everything inside was damp from the wall condensation. When it did finally stop raining, it dried out fairly quickly in a couple hours of 45* weather in the sun. 3rd night sleeping in it, it was exceptional again-very windy night in Sand Hollow area. It was quiet in high winds, good water proofing, nice and dark inside in the morning. Setup/takedown is an absolute breeze. My only concern is the reflective coating on the outside. I have a feeling it will not stand the test of time in sandy environments. When we got it home and I had a chance to hose it down and air it out, it looks good as new. A couple spots where the reflective coating is showing wear, but we lugged it around covered in sand for a week so that is my fault. So far it is my favorite tent that I have ever owned, all the advantages of a RTT but without 200lbs on your roof.
IMG_3642.jpeg

So I guess it's time to start the recollection of our trip from CO to southern Utah. @ChristopherPrice put together a fantastic itinerary for a solid group of guys from the UZJ FB group. The plan was: 1st day Moab, 2nd day Lake Powell area, 3rd day Barracks trail, 4th day Gunlock Rez, 5th day Whitmore Canyon. A very solid plan with a s***load of miles- exactly what we all needed after being cooped up inside for the last 5 months.

The plan for the trip from Denver to Moab was to meet up with @KCoverland and @samP504 on their way from Kansas City, somewhere along i70 east of Denver. We linked up in Aurora and headed west!
IMG_0440.jpeg

The trip through the Colorado Rockies was mostly uneventful, some snow here and there, and some COLD temps.
When we reached Moab, we linked up with @ChristopherPrice & @Pskhaat in town. We loaded up on some Mexican food and headed out to run Hell's Revenge before we ran out of daylight.

As luck would have it, the weather stopped cooperating and it began to sprinkle as we left town and headed for Sand Flats.
IMG_3566.jpeg

As we set off up the initial climb up Hells from the staging area, it appeared as though the weather just might cooperate for us. As we putzed along the trail, a big black cloud approached from the west. Our luck would end here 🥲 we pulled up to Hells Gate with the rain coming on thick.
IMG_3568.jpeg

Now it was time to decide whether to tackle this legendary obstacle. If any of you have ever gone wheeling with @KCoverland , you know he is always down to be the guinea pig. Keeping with that reputation, Ethan and Gigi lined up and sent it, nearly going vertical on the last step. Not only that, but there was a solid stream of water coming down when they conquered the beast. Seriously impressive.
IMG_4154.jpeg

As a reward for the showing of bravado, mother nature threw us a double thumbs up-
IMG_3574.jpeg

After getting lost a few times in the dark, we finally got off the trail, aired up, and headed south to Mexican Hat to set up camp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom