Doug Thorley header damage - File or replace? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I finally bit the bullet and ordered Doug Thorley headers to replaced the cracked OE headers on my 2000 LX. The parts from my local Toyota dealer and Partsouq showed up in a couple of days, but the headers shipped from Summit were in FedEx purgatory for 2 weeks.

The box showed up today finally. It had been taped back up a couple times and had some holes where the headers broke through the box.

One part of the flange that mounts to the engine has a dent on the end. It's not terrible, but sticks up enough that even with the exhaust gasket it may be an issue. The headers are stainless and ceramic coated, so I probably wouldn't harm them much knocking the dent down with a file.

Do I file the little dent down or wait and replace with fresh headers

What do you all have think of the damage?

EDIT: Tapped it with a hammer on an anvil a bit and filed it smooth.

PXL_20201221_203916888.jpg

DT is out of stock and most other places are as well. Summit is now out off stock too. Nobody seems to have them available or they state that they order from the distributor directly.

Still waiting for a response from Summit on what they can do.

Ideally all parts would be delivered intact and undamaged, but unless I can pick it up myself, there is always a risk with shipping heavy parts.

PXL_20201221_175406830.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20201221_175357063.PORTRAIT.jpg

Last edited:
Or just hammer it down a bit with a ball peen hammer?

The faces of the manifold are all still level and in plane, just sticking up a bit with it looks like it was dropped and broke through the shipping box.

Personally, I'd file it and use it just for the time hassle, but I've also learned from years on forums that others will tell you to lawyer up over it.
Yes, sue the government and every unadopted alley cat you can find in a week. This is how we "succeed/win" as a society.

Fix yourself, install, and enjoy ASAP.

Personally, I'd file it and use it just for the time hassle, but I've also learned from years on forums that others will tell you to lawyer up over it.

I did file, after I hammered it a little. Seems fine really, damage was just where the bolt goes and it wont interfere with the gasket as far as I can tell.

Really I just wanted a second opinion and moral support, knowing I was just gonna smooth it out and slap it on. I need a project over the holiday break to stay busy. I told Summit and they offered me a credit.

Yes, sue the government and every unadopted alley cat you can find in a week. This is how we "succeed/win" as a society.
No more cats! I had a feral cat problem at my last house and spayed/neutered most of them on my dime. Some crazy cat lady down the street kept feeding them and litters of kittens just kept showing up under my porch!

PXL_20201221_203916888.jpg
MVIMG_20180530_070014.jpg

Once installed please come back to this thread and share your impressions! Long time since I installed mine and want to hear what someone else thinks.

Will do @FXJ 96 . I need to soak everything in Liquid Wrench for the next day or so and get working on in over my holiday break. I probably should order some bolts for the heat shield too, since they look pretty rusty when I was inspecting. I have extra studs and all new nuts on hand, as I assume some stuff will break.

@Jczajka Looks like you're right around the corner from me. All of our shipments have been screwed up lately as well. I finally got my FSM delivered at an odd hour today after it being in USPS "purgatory". FedEx has been just as screwy as well.

In terms of the damage, I can't see how it would affect things in terms of fitment. Looks like you did a good job of filing it down. There might be concerns of it breaking prematurely now, but something tells me you'll be fine.

Cute kittens! I know that's a lot of work.

You pay shipping insurance for a reason file a claim that’s what it’s there for. I’ve had to do it before. Not a big deal. Really summit will have to file as the shipper.

Got the passenger side off today. Didn't have a lot of time, so I knocked out the passenger first.
PXL_20201229_224237339.jpg
PXL_20201229_224358785.jpg

Spent a few days getting the headers in. It really is a huge pain in the butt, like everyone says. Very time consuming and nothing is straight forward. Took the better part of the week with weather and family delays. Should have pulled into my garage, but ending up in the drive way with a 10x10 over the truck to try to get it done in the rain.

Thought maybe the manifolds weren't cracked at first, but found the front port cracked at the flange on both. Only one exhaust stuff came out of the engine with the nut and nothing broke! Let everything soak in PB blaster for a couple days before I started. I would break the nuts free, then turn them back and forth a few times to try to clean the rust off, before snugging them down again. Once they were all broken free I backed them all out a little at a time until they were all loose. I have extra studs to return to my local dealer where I bought a bunch of parts, so that's nice.

No matter how much a jacked up or lowered the engine I couldn't get the header in on the driver's side. I reluctantly had to remove the cat to get enough room to get the new header in. The hardware holding the cat to the rear exhaust were completely rusted and I almost couldn't get them off. I was going to put the project on hold and get a new gasket and nuts and bolts to reattached the cat, but just used two extra exhaust studs and four nuts to make new hardware. Ill keep and eye on it and get new stuff if needed.

Replaced the motor mounts while I was in there, since I was removing them for access anyway. Still need to replace the transmission mount, but I'll knock that out tomorrow. The front wheels need to go back on, but I think I'll rotate them, since its been a while and half the wheels are already off.

PXL_20201229_224352307.jpg
PXL_20210103_223133461.jpg
PXL_20210102_223315356.jpg
PXL_20201231_210239820.jpg
PXL_20210103_193044535.NIGHT.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom