Doug Thorley Cat Back Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can you post a pic of how you have your setup now with the resonator cut off? I was thinking of doing the same thing for the time being on my stock exhaust just to add a bit more sound then extending to do a side exit just aft of rear tire on that side. I like side exit (what I had on my 60) more than rear because of the pics above. Much more likely to cut an ascent/descent short and bank the bumper than have something come up under that rear quarter enough to smash your pipe.

here you go...

6FFB9CE6-6F0A-4E7A-9402-6786A0B701BB.jpeg

Can you post a pic of how you have your setup now with the resonator cut off? I was thinking of doing the same thing for the time being on my stock exhaust just to add a bit more sound then extending to do a side exit just aft of rear tire on that side. I like side exit (what I had on my 60) more than rear because of the pics above. Much more likely to cut an ascent/descent short and bank the bumper than have something come up under that rear quarter enough to smash your pipe.

This is how I did it. I also smashed up the resonator, and the exhaust shop I worked with suggested doing it this way.

IMG_0555.jpeg

The tailpipe is still smashed up. One of these days I'll learn how to drive this thing :hillbilly:.

Awesome!!!! Thanks Guys!
So part of what I was wondering was if there was a hanger just before the resonator. Seeing that there is, wondering how hard it would be to tuck a pipe up a bit closer to the body/frame rail and then have it angled down and out instead of parallel like @saucebox has.

Awesome!!!! Thanks Guys!
So part of what I was wondering was if there was a hanger just before the resonator. Seeing that there is, wondering how hard it would be to tuck a pipe up a bit closer to the body/frame rail and then have it angled down and out instead of parallel like @saucebox has.

My original idea was to actually cut thru the body and then the bumper wing and have the exhaust exit right there. It would be completely protected from rocks and ledges by the steel of the bumper wing. But, it would run right next to several delicate lines that I couldn't figure out how to insulate enough.

Awesome!!!! Thanks Guys!

Having run it this way for a year or so, I'd do the same now. Probably what I'll do when I finally smash this further.

Yeah I will have to get under the truck and see what lines and what not are there...
Good thing is likely much of it could be protected with a DIY Heatshield of sorts. But gotta figure things out first. Outside of that I am thinking of replacing the stock muffler with something like a Flowmaster FlowFX or Thrush Welded muffler (had the latter on my 60 and liked it a lot). Both are sub-$50 2.5" in/out mufflers.

Just to close the loop here. I installed this last sunday and love it. I had plenty of room under the car with the AHC in high mode. No need for jackstands or to disconnect the o2 sensors. The only thing that gave me trouble was the previous owner replaced one exhaust gasket and used hardware that I can only imagine was intended to hold toilets to the floor. The hardware was so soft it deformed just from putting the vice grips on the nut, before you even started turning. I cut them off with a sawzall and the rest of the job was finished about 30 mins later.

If I did this again, i'd put all the piping on the hangers loosely and then put the muffler up last. My approach for this one was to start at the cats and work backward (without tightening any of the hardware) and the tailpipe was a challenge to get lined up. Still didn't take any time.

Love the sound too. I get no drone but it's pretty throaty leaving stop lights and stuff.

I don't think I saw this mentioned, but when I did this my hangers did not want to budge. Use some kind of lubricant (WD40, PB Blaster, soapy water, etc) and they slide right off/on. Sawzall is a great help too, IIRC I cut mine above the axle to easily remove in two parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom