Doug Demuro reviews the 80 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

He's mostly correct, the whole wheels thing is B.S. The LX rims have a groove cut in the webs.

And every time he calls it an SUV I want to throat punch him, but other than that....

Last edited:
Seems like a pretty basic difference to just get completely wrong.

Just turn it off before the "doug score" section...useless numbers. It's tied with a Hummer H1 on his sheet...

He's mostly correct, the whole wheels thing is B.S. The LX rims have a groove cut in the webs.

And every time he calls it an SUV I want to throat punch him, but other than that....
Thats right the FZJ80 is NOT an SUV but a proper station wagon!

Props to his crazy level of yt success. He's Jay Leno's balding doppelganger.

I'd say cut him some slack. Dude reviews a sht ton of cars for views upon views. I personally wouldn't have picked out a chrome wheeled LX, but glad a triple locked 1FZ-FE 80 got some shine. Keep driving the values up!

Doug score is dog sht, though. Nobody fqn cares.

Last edited:
It has some nice cupholders.

He couldn’t see anyone paying close to 50k for a “luxury” vehicle back then, after making fun of what was considered luxury in the 90’s. Here’s some of what I went through looking for an SUV back in 1998.

My wife nearly got hit on the driver’s side of her Volvo turbo wagon when she crossed an intersection. It was a Ford Excursion and it wouldn’t have looked pretty had she been hit. Time to put her in something where she’d be safer.

During my search, I got into a customer’s Grand Cherokee and asked what he thought of it. He said that his wife had a 97 Land Cruiser and that it was “ten times the vehicle” the Jeep was. I took that as unbiased feedback.

We still have a 96 LC although it’s a spare for the family and not being driven much. I’d bet that even without lockers, 96 LC’s will fetch more than a 96 Grand Cherokee (or 96 Range Rover for that matter). And be in better mechanical condition versus the miles on them too. So maybe high 40’s or low 50k was a lot to spend for a new LC back then. One upside is reliability.

Cheers,
John

I have watched his videos in the past, he is not the type to exactly care for drivetrain or chassis quality. He sees 80s to be reliable just like a corrola would be, at least to me the thoughtfulness, quality and care that went into engineering the 80 far outweighs the cheaper toyota vehicles, nothing wrong with them, but the 80 is on a different level. I have seen that in working on my 80 and paying attention to how everything was thought out. I have always had a passion for mechanical things hence why I studied that in school too, so I don't expect everyone to be as excited as I am.

Also he forgot the a/c vent under the steering wheel and how we did not get the rear a/c or the fridge or the aux tank.

Also he forgot the a/c vent under the steering wheel

To be fair, I know people that drove Toyotas for years with that feature and didn't realize it was there (turned off).

Funny thing is he wasn’t rating it for its time, the 90’s. His rating is comparing it to modern vehicles. Apples to oranges.
He is a bit irritating also:flipoff2:

Cool to see him review the 80, but his voice is annoying, his "doug score" is ridiculous (I think the 80 is much better looking than and XJ Heep but what do I know) and he misses many of the good/quirky features of the 80 series. Also, he drove it down one street which seems like he missed the point of having an 80.

Seems like a typical American perspective of what a Land Cruiser is. Doesn't seem to grasp that the truck was a utility vehicle first, luxury vehicle second. Much like the Land Rovers of its time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom