Double Kardan Slip Joint Phasing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My double kardan slip yoke came off my (short) rear driveshaft on my ‘78 FJ40. I just need to slide it back on but I want to be sure it will be in proper alignment/phase.

Assuming the following is the correct way to align the two halves of the driveshaft, then is it correct to align a double kardan with both of ujoints aligned as shown in the second photo?

9985027A-C9A9-47F0-BCBB-DCAB285B941E.jpeg

B5A4129B-9D2E-45DA-8043-546EE4027878.jpeg

Hopefully this info will help.

I’m not sure. I tried following it, and it looks okay, but I did call the driveline shop that built the driveshaft and while it’s been 10+ years the guy told me that the owners have changed so he can’t guarantee how it was built and phased. He said he normally aligns all of the Zerk fittings so he knows how to put them back together. That suggests to me that phasing depends on who and how the driveshaft was built. Following the directions in the link could be right or I may need to line up all the zerk fittings. I guess I’ll have to figure it out.
2452F2F5-268C-464F-9854-ED1A87F08D1F.jpeg

That's not right. The slip yoke end needs to align with the welded end yoke.

You said the info in the link might not be correct but your last picture sure looks a lot like the middle rear two joint type in the drawing.

No, I said I tried following the information which I interpreted as saying to align the zerks in a way that was different from a straight alignment. It shows the rear zerk pointed downward and the front ones pointed upward. At least that is how I was interpreting it. It was a little confusing to be honest, but im also easily confused :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom