Double Gasketing Intake/Ex manifold ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Searched: question asked long time ago, but not really answered . . .

Has anyone used two in/ex gaskets to compensate for warpage ?

My DD has leaking ex areas at the manifold - head joint.

Anything I do,,,can't start till Fri evening - must be done by Sun night...
Long walk to machine shop (if there is one 'local' and open on Sat)

Thanks,

Pete

I used double FelPro gaskets on my header conversion to keep it from leaking, worked great but I do have to retorque here and there. Dont know if it would work on stock manifolds but I dont see why not.

SOR's kevlar gaskets are thicker than normal & work great - 2 of them might be the end of your problems. Or maybe the continuation.

Maybe you ought to buy other manifolds & get them machined & do it right.

bin there and done that, it works temporarily but still doesnt fix the problem. have it flatdecked by a machine shop, its a simple machining job. I just had it done on my D9 Cat and it was cheap.

might as well start off flat, it'll just make for a better done job.

ditto on the second manifold deal, you could probably end up selling you "first" one to cover most of the second one.

I routinely double gasket any 2F manifold I suspect might be less than true. Works great.

Mark...

You probably end up paying the same amount to get it milled or buy another gasket. I'd do it right and mill it. Mickeymouse doesn't live under my hood.

silvercrusher said:
You probably end up paying the same amount to get it milled or buy another gasket. I'd do it right and mill it. Mickeymouse doesn't live under my hood.

You find a machine shop that'll mill that intake exhaust setup for $20 let me know. You find one that can also do it at a moments notice and pickup and deliver as well for that price... call me collect with the info. ;)

I'm not sure why this qualifies as "mickeymouse" in your book. It is simple and straightforward, works well, introduces no adverse side effects, lasts as long as the factory approach and solves a problem inexpensively.

If that's mickeymouse, then I guess I'm Donald Duck. ;)

Mark...

If it is a short term solution you are looking for, then I think it would work. I would have done it had my intake not been cracked.

From my expirience with machine shops, they don't get back to you too quick. Took them 2 weeks with mine. I think it will be better in the long run though. I don't want to have to pull all that smog stuff again anytime soon.

good luck

My 73 40 has been double gasketed for 10-15K+ mi now. No probs and no retorque. Made the sandwich with permatex high temp copper (felpro gaskets). When I bought my truck the gasket was leakng profusely. I figured since I was in there I'd put headers on the tractor to help it breath somewhat better....somewhat of an oxy-moron on a motor with no legs past 4k...but non the less I did it. The header flange vs intake flange thicknesses were like night and day. Made up some shims, but thought it to be prudent to double gasket the whole thing.....a common practice for 40's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom