Double drilled window motor/actuator bolt hole…🫠 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A few weeks ago my driver side window started to get some play in it. Then a week later when I rolled it down fully, it would only back up ~1/4 in. Took a bit of messing with to get it back in line and rolled up. So, I broke into the door to find the culprit.

After removing the motor/linkage assembly, I saw this absolute ridiculousness. Any creative ideas in how to remedy the ******* second hole some idiot put in there?

(It’s one of the motor mounting bolts if you couldn’t tell from the photos)

image.jpg

image.jpg

A few weeks ago my driver side window started to get some play in it. Then a week later when I rolled it down fully, it would only back up ~1/4 in. Took a bit of messing with to get it back in line and rolled up. So, I broke into the door to find the culprit.

After removing the motor/linkage assembly, I saw this absolute ridiculousness. Any creative ideas in how to remedy the ******* second hole some idiot put in there?

(It’s one of the motor mounting bolts if you couldn’t tell from the photos)

View attachment 3173004

View attachment 3173005
Get a washer that fits the bolt and then tack weld it in place in the correct location.

otherwise, get a little epoxy and do the same thing with a little epoxy behind it, then tighten the bolt where it needs to be and tighten the shyt out of it.

Actually, that just looks like the bolt has been loose for YEARS and every time it went up and down, it wore more of a slot in it.

Honestly one of the two previous owners did some really strange things to this truck… I always just assume it’s their fault (gives me someone to channel the frustration to)

So there is a slots for that horizontal track that bolts to the interior of the door… which are actual slots. Sure don’t look similar to this. I feel like if it was, there wouldn’t be a defined point in the middle

So there is a slots for that horizontal track that bolts to the interior of the door… which are actual slots. Sure don’t look similar to this. I feel like if it was, there wouldn’t be a defined point in the middle
any chance you could take a picture of the whole door?

Which model/year Land Cruiser and which door are you working on?

For a US spec FZJ80 with electric windows (front door) the four bolt holes for the motor end of the regulator are not slotted from the factory ie: no adjustment possible. For the short adjuster arm of the regulator assembly that bolts more rearward on the door there are two bolt holes, the more forward hole is not slotted (it acts like a pivot point for the arm) but the rearward hole is slotted which allows a little up/down movement to adjust the tilt of the glass. So first leave the forward bolt slightly loose then adjust the glass how you want it and tighten up the rearward bolt in the slotted hole then go back and tighten the other bolt. Hope that makes sense.

FWIW here's some photos:

FZJ80 left front door regulator mounting bolt positions.png

FZJ80 left front door regulator adjuster arm.png

FZJ80 left front door regulator adjuster arm close up.png

Last edited:
Here’s the photos. First is where it seems to have been double drilled. Second is the adjustment slot for the short lateral track. Than an obvious one. It’s a U.S. 96lx…. Guess I should have led with that

1EDC2F7F-EA14-4B45-B614-9A32EB672941.jpeg

0000A930-EED1-4A3B-BA04-35EE7B973042.jpeg

ABBF520C-F509-4406-AA09-11317C0A540E.jpeg
D6934BAD-EAB8-4FDF-A6DE-0928C74519EC.jpeg

Edit: the last is a close up of the mounting bolt hole pointed out in photo one. Thanks for all the input y’all, I’m not terribly familiar with a lot of the body kinds of things…. Or electrical for that matter.

Last edited:
Which model/year Land Cruiser and which door are you working on?

For a US spec FZJ80 with electric windows (front door) the four bolt holes for the motor end of the regulator are not slotted from the factory ie: no adjustment possible. For the short adjuster arm of the regulator assembly that bolts more rearward on the door there are two bolt holes, the more forward hole is not slotted (it acts like a pivot point for the arm) but the rearward hole is slotted which allows a little up/down movement to adjust the tilt of the glass. So first leave the forward bolt slightly loose then adjust the glass how you want it and tighten up the rearward bolt in the slotted hole then go back and tighten the other bolt. Hope that makes sense.

FWIW here's some photos:

View attachment 3174691

View attachment 3174696

View attachment 3174701
Totally clears it up! I’ve been scratching my head for a few days now! I think it may be due to needing adjustment, but after pulling the assembly, cleaning everything and reinstalling, I got a view of the geared part of the actuator and noticed it moved from being straight to kicking towards the outside of the door something like 1/8th of an inch. Did I miss an opprotunity to retighten something to help alleviate that?

Here’s the photos. First is where it seems to have been double drilled. Second is the adjustment slot for the short lateral track. Than an obvious one. It’s a U.S. 96lx…. Guess I should have led with that

View attachment 3175067

View attachment 3175068

View attachment 3175069View attachment 3175079
Edit: the last is a close up of the mounting bolt hole pointed out in photo one. Thanks for all the input y’all, I’m not terribly familiar with a lot of the body kinds of things…. Or electrical for that matter.

I'd roll with BILT4ME suggestion and epoxy a washer in place on the slotted hole from your original post
Looks like either a PO slotted it to try and adjust things, or it's fretted and worn that way.
The adjustment should all happen were the two factory slotted holes are.

From memory, the regulator arms are bowed a little

So I epoxied a washer to solve the extra large mounting hole… still giving me issues. Took a video of what’s going on and was hoping for further insight. Thanks all for your help!!!

Video

Do any of the regulator mounting/adjusting bolts move when the glass goes up/down?

Have you checked to see that the bottom edge of the glass is sitting tightly/evenly in the horizontal metal glass channel and that the channel itself is tightly bolted to the regulator arm??

Your window should never rock forward and pop out of the rear channel like that.

Screenshot_20221221_131255.jpg

Screenshot_20221221_131225.jpg

Is your window even solidly seated into the rubber-lined metal channel that connects it to the regulator? The only time I've seen a window rock like that was when it was coming out of channel.

bb9faad8decd3bf85b891e1ae9515595~2.png

Screenshot_20221221_131854.jpg

I don't know if the regulator should rock towards the inner door panel like that. If you question the integrity of the regulator, don't hesitate to replace it. I have aftermarket motor and regulator assemblies in my front doors and they work great.

Edit: these are the window regulator and motor assemblies that I bought (6552-3000LR): back in 2017

Last edited:
Your window should never rock forward and pop out of the rear channel like that.

View attachment 3198731

View attachment 3198732

Is your window even solidly seated into the rubber-lined metal channel that connects it to the regulator? The only time I've seen a window rock like that was when it was coming out of channel.

View attachment 3198734

View attachment 3198735

I don't know if the regulator should rock towards the inner door panel like that. If you question the integrity of the regulator, don't hesitate to replace it. I have aftermarket motor and regulator assemblies in my front doors and they work great.

Edit: these are the window regulator and motor assemblies that I bought (6552-3000LR): back in 2017

If this bolt is loose (circled blue), or in the wrong position, the window will flop forward like in the pictures.

bb9faad8decd3bf85b891e1ae9515595_2~2.png

That’s the next task when she’s back from the body shop!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom