Double check me on a wire (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am 98% sure that this all black wire with the claw attached to the neg post on the coil. Can someone give me a yes or a whoa stop right there?
B61CEDCD-9E26-47CE-949B-750B16B168BB.jpeg

That looks right. Of course you should ohm it out with a meter, and check the circuit diagram. My 76 FJ40 looks like this.
D0F9B926-3FF0-4040-8172-F329357D7FEF.jpeg

If it was a white with black stripe I would agree, but it appears to be a black wire no stripe. This is why it is important to meter it out. Connection 3 is a white with black stripe to ground. Connection 4 is a solid black to coil negative, at least on my 76fj40.
image.jpg

That looks right. Of course you should ohm it out with a meter, and check the circuit diagram. My 76 FJ40 looks like this.View attachment 3249783
When you say ohm it out could you explain where to put the points? I am still super new at anything electrical. Although diagnosing my no start helped a ton

Think instead answers a question what FJ40 do you have. I see a 74 listed. Quick check shows only California had an ignitor in 74 for US market FJ40s. Could not say I see an ignitor in the picture. Really need to know more about to cruiser to get an answer. The one size fits all approach doesn't work on a vehicle sold from 1961-1983 in the US. Plus not unheard of a cruiser wiring being changed with another year.

Think instead answers a question what FJ40 do you have. I see a 74 listed. Quick check shows only California had an ignitor in 74 for US market FJ40s. Could not say I see an ignitor in the picture. Really need to know more about to cruiser to get an answer. The one size fits all approach doesn't work on a vehicle sold from 1961-1983 in the US. Plus not unheard of a cruiser wiring being changed with another year.
Yeah. It’s a 74 body with a later 2f in it. I’ve scrubbed the engine plate with just about everything but no luck identifying the year. If any other pictures are helpful I can take as many as needed.

I second living in the past. Most of these cruisers have some messed up wiring. By ohm it out I mean to trace the wire. It is not clear from your original photo if you have an igniter on top of your coil. Any cheap ohm meter will do the trick. Put it on the lowest ohm range and one probe from the meter on each end of the wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom