Dots of antifreeze under hood of car (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, just bought a 1987 FJ60. I have driven it around no problem and the inspection before I purchased it was rock solid. The other day I was installing a washer fluid reservoir and noticed green specs all over. Looks like antifreeze. Any thoughts as to why this happened?

A small leak occurred and the AF was blown all over the engine compartment by the engine fan. You might pressure-test system cold (with a pressure test kit), and see if any joints/hoses near the thermostat are leaking. The thermostat housing is sort of a leak-prone spot, due to all the various hoses there. I would first go take a clean paper towel and rub it around every cooling system fitting and see if it comes back green from any of the fittings, which would indicate that one of them is weeping.

A small leak occurred and the AF was blown all over the engine compartment by the engine fan. You might pressure-test system cold (with a pressure test kit), and see if any joints/hoses near the thermostat are leaking. The thermostat housing is sort of a leak-prone spot, due to all the various hoses there. I would first go take a clean paper towel and rub it around every cooling system fitting and see if it comes back green from any of the fittings, which would indicate that one of them is weeping.
Thanks! I will for sure wipe it all down to find the hose that is leaking. do you have a recommended fix after I find the hose that is leaking? new part/tape it up? I am pretty new to all of this so any tips are appreciated. Lastly, is this something that needs to be fixed immediately before I drive it again?

Not a issue to drive it unless you are noticing LOTS of fluid. You may need to drive and keep checking it periodically until you find the issue or it does it again. If you start to overheat, youve lost too much AF

Weeping hoses are SOMETIMES just a loose hose clamp. Many times on a vehicle the age of an FJ60/2, the hose is tired, or original. Replace with OEM or quality parts - no tape and no 'nev-r-leak' put in the cooling system.

If you're just puttering around town, keep an eye on it. If you're planning to drive to Moab, you might want to look closely at all the hoses before you go. Install a new radiator cap and watch the coolant overflow bottle to see if it get lower over time.

Story: I just sold a super clean one-owner '82 Toyota pickup to a buddy. After the test drive, while we were standing there, 30 seconds after the drive, the lower radiator hose started peeing coolant onto the manifold, which created a hilarious 'classic hissing sound and steam coming out under the hood'. I replaced the hose, and it was date-coded '7/82', so it was 38 years old. When I turned the hose inside out, it had an invisible, internal crack about 1.5" long in the hose, which finally came through the outer layer and leaked. My buddy is a gearhead, and he wasn't offended (and still bought the truck), but this 'good looking on the outside' hose was original, and it was toast. I simply overlooked this hose in my servicing of the truck.

<minor rant>

So, don't trust what you see under the hood. Part of baselining an FJ60 is the miserable task of replacing all those fiddly cooling system hoses (and usually the radiator) and another reason that non-DIY people shouldn't buy 30 year old trucks, unless they want to make their local mechanic rich. But, with this forum and an FSM, and some patience, there is nothing you can't do. I take pride in my 30 year old truck with 259K that is dead-on reliable.

<semi-rant off>

Not a issue to drive it unless you are noticing LOTS of fluid. You may need to drive and keep checking it periodically until you find the issue or it does it again. If you start to overheat, youve lost too much AF
Thanks, Ill keep an eye on it!

Weeping hoses are SOMETIMES just a loose hose clamp. Many times on a vehicle the age of an FJ60/2, the hose is tired, or original. Replace with OEM or quality parts - no tape and no 'nev-r-leak' put in the cooling system.

If you're just puttering around town, keep an eye on it. If you're planning to drive to Moab, you might want to look closely at all the hoses before you go. Install a new radiator cap and watch the coolant overflow bottle to see if it get lower over time.

Story: I just sold a super clean one-owner '82 Toyota pickup to a buddy. After the test drive, while we were standing there, 30 seconds after the drive, the lower radiator hose started peeing coolant onto the manifold, which created a hilarious 'classic hissing sound and steam coming out under the hood'. I replaced the hose, and it was date-coded '7/82', so it was 38 years old. When I turned the hose inside out, it had an invisible, internal crack about 1.5" long in the hose, which finally came through the outer layer and leaked. My buddy is a gearhead, and he wasn't offended (and still bought the truck), but this 'good looking on the outside' hose was original, and it was toast. I simply overlooked this hose in my servicing of the truck.

<minor rant>

So, don't trust what you see under the hood. Part of baselining an FJ60 is the miserable task of replacing all those fiddly cooling system hoses (and usually the radiator) and another reason that non-DIY people shouldn't buy 30 year old trucks, unless they want to make their local mechanic rich. But, with this forum and an FSM, and some patience, there is nothing you can't do. I take pride in my 30 year old truck with 259K that is dead-on reliable.

<semi-rant off>
Yeah, I bought the car wanting a project and wanting to learn. So I have no problem trying stuff, but will be posting on here all day long hahah. Good to know, right now I am just puttering around Denver (still perfecting my manual skills). Do you have a recommended place to get parts?
Certainly hoping to turn this beast into a reliable monster.

Thanks

BTW... Very Important... Post a pic of your Cruiser!! Typically a requirement. We are visual

BTW... Very Important... Post a pic of your Cruiser!! Typically a requirement. We are visual
haha, will do... Honestly, it looks a lot like your profile pic. Post it here with the hood up/with green specs. or add it to my profile pic

Just here is fine, or both. up to you! Welcome

Pics of the truck...
1. just the car
2. Right Side of the hood
3. Center
4. Left side ( I need to reattach washer fluid (i know it is just laying there))

IMG_7772.jpeg

IMG_7764.jpeg

1606410673803.png

IMG_7769.jpeg

1606410662243.png

Put another nut and rubber washer on the air cleaner at the carb.. it’s wide open to the elements thru that hole (unfiltered air)

Your heater control valve (on your firewall) looks like it’s been leaking for some time!

Hey All,
Thanks for the advice! The main water pump hose had a tiny hole that was firing into the fan. I ordered a new hose and clamps and will be fixing that tomorrow. I also fixed up the missing nuts on the air cleaner on the carb. Does anyone have suggestions for what kind of coolant to put in when I change out the hose?
IMG_7833.jpeg

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom