DOT pulled my Japanese import over today. Need some help (1 Viewer)

Well DOT pulled me over today. They went through my truck because it's right hand drive Japanese import. He wanted to make sure it was up to Canadian Spec. A few things did not pass:

-My headlights are have not been changed - Not DOT spec
-Taillights are not DOT approved (he did not know the difference was either)
-No Side rear marker lights/reflectors-
-No Daytime Running lights

-My windshield was changed so I am good there
-My steering alignment was done so that was good there

I need to get the first three done. I can understand his point on the headlights (safety issue).

Anyways, I want to say that he was REALLY NICE. He was also a land cruiser guy. He has a BJ60, and has owned a 55 and a 40. He said he looked at importing one (HDJ81), and we talked for awhile. He gave me the number of a person in the office that handles the inspections. I have heard the guy in the office was really a hard guy, but I called him early, and he was really nice as well. I must say the so far my local people have been nice and polite. No problems or complaints. I think they are just concerned about the safety aspects, which is understandable.

Looks like I will have to conform. Tough luck for me, but whatever. I am not sure what help my importer will provide. For now I will assume that I have to do it. I am going to check with MTNRAT's truck to see if the lights are the same. If so I will just try and get ones from the wrecker of fellow mud members.

Does anyone have a parts rig where they want to sell the lights?
Or does anyone have a trail only rig where it does not matter. Maybe we can trade?

Or anyone want to trade rear tail lights. There are the same, I just need the DOT stamp. I want to be legal incase I ever am pulled over again. None of this trade to make it legal and then trade back. I would deserve a ticket in that case.

Anyways, I would love to hear what experience other people have had. I would also love other peoples help. I can't really afford to spend any more money right now. So if its going to be to much I will have to park it for a few months. Which would SUCK.

I also want to say, that my truck has gone through an inspection and did pass. I am certified until Jan 2007. But it sounded like he can force me to re inspect.

Cheers,
Nick

Last edited:
Nick,

Sorry to hear about your trouble.
Glad, however, that the guy was nice about it at least.

I was wondering how you guys what had imported the RHD vehicles went about the different light pattern, etc... I've said it before, but when they do the Lexus conversion they usually "crank" the headlight adjusters to the max and they usually pass the inspection here. (The inspection here is fairly stringent so it cannot be that awful. However, I haven't seen the light pattern first hand so I can't really recommend it. Nor do I know if it'll be satisfactory in your situation).

You might want to post this in the 80's section as there are some guys that have done the taillight conversions that might be willing to part with theirs. But maybe all you'll have to do is to prove (in writing from Toyota or a dealer?) that there is no different and they are road worthy.

TYLER has the clear tails (and the fronts) and I know that they do not say "DOT approved". Maybe the trooper pulled you over more because he was curious about your HDJ and wanted to check it out than he was concerned that some of the items were not roadworthy. ;)

I'm not sure I can help you since you are trying to ditch the JDM look, but let me know if I can do anything for you.

GOOD LUCK!!

Mot

I dont imagine getting North American FZJ80 Headlights/Tailights shouldn't be hard... have you checked ebay?

I know for a fact some of the 80 guys would love to trade headlights with you as they want the stock fog lights that come with the JDM 81s

Thanks Mot,

They were really nice, they just are concerned about the safety of RHD's here.
They want the appropriate lights, which I can understand.

I will PM Tyler and see if he can help me out.

Thanks,
Nick

Last edited:
Nick,

I guess if all else fails there's always Cdan. :D

I prefer driving RHD in Japan (my dad has a LHD vehicle) as it is easier for me to negotiate the tight driving conditions in Japan. But that is not to say it is a big deal to drive LHD cars as there are so many of them here.

Good luck!
I hope you can get it DOT approved w/o spending too much $$$.

Mot :)

Ocelot said:
I dont imagine getting North American FZJ80 Headlights/Tailights shouldn't be hard... have you checked ebay?

I know for a fact some of the 80 guys would love to trade headlights with you as they want the stock fog lights that come with the JDM 81s

I want the stock fog lights too. :)
But I will trade if need be.
Anyone want to trade?

I am looking on ebay too.
I see some on there, but if there is no DOT stamp, I can't use them.

what's this DOT guy? Is this just a BC thing?

I know when I picked up mine Wayne had done the headlight thing and the DTRL's but tail lights? Come on now.

Is this a federal thing or what?

My truck passed the Ont safety inspection fine so I'm trying to figure out what this is.

Where you pulled by the RCMP?

Can you get DOT headlights that have the fog lights in them? I thought you either get the DOT headlamps, which use the fog light spot as high beams, or you get JDM headlamps, which use the fog light spot as fog lights.

Did he give you one of those "Report to inspection station" deals?

It is a BC enforced thing as far as I know, but I believe the law is federal? In BC the police are very strict about it for some reason... this thread is proof: http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?threadid=85318

Website
bcfishingreports.com
Nick:

Sorry to hear that. I'm at work until 2300 tonight, but I'll look it up in my computer when I get home tonight. It's quite possible that those guys don't know that vehicles imported that are 15 years or older are only required to pass an Out of Province Form 1 inspection...and that means you don't have to comply with current standards, just what was OEM when your vehicle was new.

You don't have to have daytime running lamps, don't have to have airbags and ABS, but your brakes must work, your headlights must be DOT approved, etc. Your truck already had to pass BC inspection in order to receive your BC assigned VIN, and unless you drastically modified your vehicle since then (which you haven't), you technically didn't need another inspection.

I think that the nuisance here is not necessarily the regulations, but the ignorance of some people who enforce those regulations.

Stone

cruiser_guy

Good morning from here, Just finished updating ou
Website
wirrell.com
Nick, you just can't win lately!! Do you want the aerodynamic lights like the domestic model trucks or the square lights like we can get in Guatemala (think cheaper if they get busted). How much time do you have to comply?

I think Stone is right (even though I knwo nothing about this really)

Like even Ford trucks some in 1990 didn't have daytime runnning lights, I just leave my lights on all the time, you sould always have your lights on even on a sunny day.

They are being nice, because they don't want you to think your getting ******, definitaly talk to your importer.

Last edited:
Website
bcfishingreports.com
Here we go...direct from the horse's mouth:

From Transport Canada's Own Website
VEHICLES PURCHASED OUTSIDE CANADA AND THE UNITED STATES

The Motor Vehicle Safety Act and Regulations require that all vehicles imported into Canada comply, at the time of importation, with the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards in effect on the date the vehicle was manufactured. Vehicles manufactured for sale in countries other than Canada and the United States do not comply with the requirements of the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act, CANNOT be altered to comply and CANNOT be imported into Canada. The only exceptions to this rule are vehicles fifteen (15) years old or older as determined by the month and year in which the vehicle was manufactured and buses manufactured before January 1, 1971.

I'm going to print this out and leave a copy with my ICBC insurance documents in my BJ74 just in case I run into a DOT guy that doesn't know the rules that he's trying to enforce. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It just seem's like another money grab. I wonder what is next from our beloved goverment !!!!!!

kind of unrelated, but I was talking to a ministry guy for a few minutes while they stuck a test strip in my tank of diesel (thank god I wasn't running anything I wasn't supposed too) Anyway, I was telling him I was thinking of importing a JDM, Land cruiser diesel, and I said I had no idea why they wouldn't sell them to the north american customers, and he siad its along way from the Desert, why do you want a truck like that. "I said, well great fuel economy, better then any gassers its size, drivable touque, the option of using different fuels, more reliable, a tought truck in a nice size package, IT's a toyota diesel, the pimp factor alone makes it cool. What else would I buy? He said yer all ready to go.

That was that, i've had this confersation with a few people, funny that no one thinks there is a market for them here, I think quite the opposite, people are tired of s***ty cars, I think that is the main reason this board is so strong and there are so many JDM LC's

I agree. If only Toyota would import landcruiser with deisels, I think there would not be much of a market for JDM. It take s special breed of people to own one and it is COOL FACTOR that sperates us from the ordinary...........

Website
bcfishingreports.com
wussyPup said:
Interesting timing...

From the BC Commercial Vehicle Safety and Enforcement (group responsible for Vehicle Inspections) web site: Bulletin 02-06 – Light Vehicles Imported into BC

Whew...sigh of relief on my BJ74 anyway. Just took a look outside, and all of my glass seem to have the proper markings on them. My Hella H4 headlights are marked SAE MV75, my windshield has the AS1 mark, and my FRP top windows and all other side and rear windows have AS2 on them. And to top it off, my tail lights have the SAE/DOT stamp on them also.

I would guess that these components with the right markings on them would be universal to all BJ74s unless glass was replaced in Japan with some other cheaper part. All of my glass are Toyota factory glass. Maybe this is where some issues come up?

I'd be curious to find out if the windshields ordered from Ens Toyota also carry the AS1 marking? I would assume so...but it would be nice to get a confirmation.

Good luck, Nick. The daytime running light is not a big deal...Sheldon has put in a module in his 80.

Is there actually a difference in the glass, like it's resistence to shatter or the way it shatters or is it just a DOT emblem?

Is there anything that almost always needs changing when brought over from Japan?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom