Do's and Don'ts of a 22r rebuild? ? ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there! I'm rebuilding my 22r nothing fancy just would like slight more power and want reliability above all and do's and Don'ts? ?

Both my dad and I have been happy with out LC Engineering adjustable cam gears (him NA, me turbo). But when I bought them, they weren't $90.
This guy (ENGNBLDR.COM, ENGINE PARTS NETWORK) sells a myriad of 22r/re parts. You could give him a call and see what he says.

Engnbldr is really helpful. But I'd do a cam, hedger header and 2.25" exhuast. I'd also clean up the lower intake while rebuilding

Get a 3RZ

:D

^^^
Very good point. A turbo 3rz would be pretty sweet.

See, told ya so!

Like wristpin said, no Chinese parts. In fact, it's my personal opinion, but I would try to stick to OEM parts on your engine. With the exception of anything LCE or Engnbldr. My machinist doesn't care for the head gasket to much, says its not bad but it potentially stores moisture and pits blocks. He recommends using a stainless steel one that's thicker to compensate block shaving. Always have your head checked anytime you remove it. Same with your exhaust manifold. Use OEM gaskets. Get metal back timing chain guilds, not the plastic ones. Consider going to a double row chain too.

I've had two Felpro head gaskets fail. One on a brand new 2FE with 10K miles, the other recently on a two year old 22re engine rebuild. Go OEM.

Thats cool but dont need race truck (but very tempting :)

Thanks guys!!

I have built hundreds of 22Rs. My advise is to go with factory parts $$ when available and make sure the machinist knows Toyota factory specs. Balancing the rotating parts is a must. Re-size rods and install new bolts. Follow the FSM and don't machine beyond specs listed. Replace every cooling system part and the oil pump, cam and rockers, fuel pump, carburetor OH, Check distributor and advance systems, replace secondary ignition parts and make sure the air filter seals and gaskets are perfect. This is the path for a reliable, long term stock engine that is smoother through the rpm range. Good luck! Bill

I rebuilt mine using all engnbldr parts; even the head gasket. almost 20k on the rebuild, and going strong. Had the block hot tanked, the head checked out and cleaned, rebuilt injectors, etc. Stock sized piston and bearings all around. I took my time, plastigaged all bearings to make sure they were in spec, studied the FSM like crazy, and had no issues.

The entire experience was easy, just took time.

The last thing I will add, is I have a 3rz waiting for me to rebuilt for my 4runner. I should have gone this route to start, but finding a 3rz for cheap was not likely back then. More power/torque, reliable, efficient, OBD2, and so much more happy to be in the high RPM range.

I spent way too much time and $$$ on my 22RE. I love this engine, but it's just hit the limit. I would go with a 3RZ in a heartbeat if I had the chance again.

I spent way too much time and $$$ on my 22RE. I love this engine, but it's just hit the limit. I would go with a 3RZ in a heartbeat if I had the chance again.

Ditto. Working on it.

I built a 20/22r and used engnbldr parts and its still running good I had his head gasket fail on start up still don't know why replaced it with Felpro and its been good. Fixing to start on a 22RE for my 86 I would like to do a 3rz but I plan on keeping IFS and I have not found a complete 3rz in IFS build.

OEM? Try beno or CDan

I have built hundreds of 22Rs. My advise is to go with factory parts $$ when available and make sure the machinist knows Toyota factory specs. Balancing the rotating parts is a must. Re-size rods and install new bolts. Follow the FSM and don't machine beyond specs listed. Replace every cooling system part and the oil pump, cam and rockers, fuel pump, carburetor OH, Check distributor and advance systems, replace secondary ignition parts and make sure the air filter seals and gaskets are perfect. This is the path for a reliable, long term stock engine that is smoother through the rpm range. Good luck! Bill

Well said Bill.

I've had two Felpro head gaskets fail. One on a brand new 2FE with 10K miles, the other recently on a two year old 22re engine rebuild. Go OEM.
I just replaced my leaking valve stem seals. Had the head off about 100K miles ago. I had used a felpro gasket. Never had a problem. But I could see where it appeared to be delaminating around the combustion ring on cylinder 4. Overall I have been pleased.
I had a stock head gasket laying around so I used it. But a few weeks ago I used a MAHLE head gasket on my other truck. I feel like that's a superior gasket. It has reinforcement sections on nearly all the various holes. It looks good and feels good. I have high hopes for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom