Dorman PS Cap vs. OEM - Pictures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OwnerCS

GOLD Star
Threads
Without going into a long and painful story, I found the Dorman PS reservoir cap in a loose position that allowed dust and mud to be sucked up into the system. The little micro screen appears to have clogged, the fluid starved pump started whining, here come problems. It appears the pump vanes and contact area were scored in the process. I will be replacing the PS pump with a new OEM to remedy the noise problem.

The Dorman reservoir and cap worked fine until I started off-roading in dusty and muddy conditions. I'm sure many people have good luck with the Dorman reservoir in a rig that stays on the pavement.

I cannot find fault with the reservoir at this point. Though, I need to live with it a while longer.

Side-by-side comparison.

I don't have a picture of the Dorman cap when it was new. I can tell you that after one year of use, it does not seal tight. The new OEM seals tight and will not shake loose.

If you go off-roading in extremely dusty or muddy conditions, be sure to check your power steering reservoir cap for a tight fit.

OEM cap on the right

1629469864239.png

I dont' know how the o-ring ended up in this position or why the upper cap seal has a different shape. The upper cap seal shape allowed the cap to shake loose.

1629466437652.png

The OEM cap o-ring and seal.

1629466576250.png

Last edited:
Dorman is junk. I'm not surprised in the least. We avoid them at my shop unless you have an old Chevy, then it's the only option and they're as crappy as OE GM.

So you got an OE Toyota cap and now all is good?

Dorman is junk. I'm not surprised in the least. We avoid them at my shop unless you have an old Chevy, then it's the only option and they're as crappy as OE GM.

So you got an OE Toyota cap and now all is good?
The OE Toyota cap works great. Makes a tight seal. I will be replacing the PS pump with a new OE this week.

The new OE cap is keeping the dirt out. This is after a typical monthly off-road weekend trail ride. I clean up after each trail ride. The old cap was allowding this dirt to be sucked into the system.

1629763590952.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom