Dorman brand Replacement Wheel Studs for Front Axle. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Josie'sLandCruiser

Stop calling it a "FJ."
Threads
Hi All:

In the middle of swapping the outer front axle parts from a '83 BJ60 onto my '74 FJ40 and thought I'd add this bit of info to the MUD archives.

I was planning on installing new front brake discs so I decided to replace the crusty/rusty stock wheel studs as well. Purchased some Dorman brand front axle wheel studs from an auto parts website. These were listed as a stock replacement front wheel stud for the BJ/FJ/HJ60/62. Yet another example of why buying OE Toyota parts is the way to go!

Regards,

Alan
006.JPG
007.JPG

Hi All:

Well, the rest of these pics tell the truth of the matter! :frown:

I think these slightly shorter wheel studs will work, but I may not be able to still use the 1/4 wheel spacers I had on the front axle.

Regards,

Alan
003.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG

I doubt 9 100ths of an inch will make or break the install. But the place to measure them is from the shoulder to the end of the threads. Including the head may make it worse than it is.

I can guarantee that wont make a difference with stock rims, but I would be more concerned about the spacers eating up a quarter inch of those threads.

Tony

I looked into those studs when looking for longer front wheel studs for use with alloy wheels and a 1/8" thick shim spacer. I even called Dorman and asked why they're shorter than stock. I was told that if enough people called asking for longer studs that they might make them. So call 800.523.2492 and ask for them.

Last edited:
I have Dorman's on my front and rear with Slee 1.5" spacers all the way around, no issues since 2007.

Hi All:

Well, the rest of these pics tell the truth of the matter! :frown:

I think these slightly shorter wheel studs will work, but I may not be able to still use the 1/4 wheel spacers I had on the front axle.

Regards,

Alan

I have had no problems with Dorman products. If you remove the layer of rust and crud form your old stud it would probably measure the same.

FJ60 Wheel Studs

I'm trying to mount aluminum wheels on my FJ60, but it looks like the wheel studs are too short or I need to use a steped lug nut. The only steped lug nut I could find was too big to fit in the hole in the rim and would not center the wheel. So longer stud would be best, any ideas?

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/466733-where-can-i-get-longer-wheel-studs.html
Short answer: you can't get longer studs & stay with metric threads and you can find universal longer studs in SAE threads but none that I've looked at have a long enough shoulder to work properly in the front. Call Dorman and ask for a longer version of the OE replacement stud that they already make. I was told that they'd make them if they thought that there was enough demand. Their current stud is actually shorter by a couple threads!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom