Dora the 1977 FJ40 Buildup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I should explain that the yellow stuff is spay putty with primer, the pink stuff is the filler and the reddish stuff is spot-putty that will be 95% sanded out. It's best to have a big smear that is sanded off to ensure a proper fill of any old paint dings and sanded-out surface rust. Or so I'm told :)

Looking good there buddy! Look what I found on my truck the other day.. I redone the one side before but not this side. This is the last rusty holes I have. You gave me inspiration my friend lol! The last pic with the filler is where I am today. But only a few milimeters thick or a good skim coat. All I have is a buzz box stick welder but it worked fine for this repair as it did for others I made in the past. Not pretty like a wire welder but I know its solid.:cheers:
Image0614.jpg
Image0618.jpg
Image0629.jpg

Nice work mate! That top edge repair you've done on the air "door" is pretty neat, and should be solid as a rock. Don't you hate it when the PO hides the rust away like that. It's kinda like Christmas, but in reverse - the gift sucks ;)
Cheers,
Scott

Last edited:
Got a nasty surprise when doing the rear shackle bushings yesterday. The PO had placed newer springs and extended shackles on the rear without properly matching them. After replacing the (disintegrated) bushings to check how the shackles should sit, I found the rear shackles are angled positively (toward the front of the car)! Check out the pictures on the previous page. I'm silly for not having noticed this earlier - I guess the other dodgy bits had caught my attention too much :(

What a pain, now I need to replace the rear springs and shackles to prevent a suspension inversion disaster. I'm glad I noticed though!

Howdy Scott! Man you are making progress!!! Looking Good my friend. What is your plan for the seats? Recover or replace?:cheers:

G'day Rob, the drivers seat is a replacement job, I have a seat from a Diahatsu Rocky in very good condition to put in there. The bench seat is going to get some love and re-covering. I'm going to wait until all the work is done so I don't dirty up my seats ;)
Cheers!

OK guys, take a ticket, form an orderly queue and you will be attended to in turn ;) Mind you, I am paying a neighbour to do the painting as he is an absolute gun (pun) with the spray gear and has >30 years experience. Lucky me! Hopefully more pics this arv or tomorrow.

Excellent (and quick) work, Gruntled! You are inspiring me (2 week owner of '74 FJ40 that I have longed for since 1981 - 21st Anniversary gift for my dear wife)!

I think the dawg is getting bored with all this restoration business :rolleyes:
Photo3147.jpg

Priceless! :lol:
Your doing a great job mate. It is a good thing looking after these old trucks, because they don't make them like this anymore. It is very easy to become attached to them. :eek:
I really like that colour also. Nothing beats the original colours in my opinion. Keep the pics flowing! :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom