Doors won't unlock manually (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is a problem that's been going on for as long as I've had the vehicle. It's a 1998 LX470. The power locks work just fine. But if the locks are engaged, you cannot get out of the vehicle simply by pulling on the door handle. You have to first operate the little triangle-shaped lock mechanism (or press the power unlock button). This seems very unsafe and counterintuitive. If there was an emergency and you needed to exit the vehicle quickly, your natural reaction would be to grab the door handle and pull. Wouldn't do you any good in my truck.

I've never seen a vehicle that locked you in this way. Is this how it's is supposed to work or is there something wrong? On my mom's 2003 LX470, they work the way I think they should. I think something's wrong.

Last edited:
The doors will not unlock via door handle. You must either manually unlock or press the lock button. I have noticed it too, all of our other vehicles unlock when you pull the door handle inside.I have gotten used to it, I usually graze the lock with the side of my hand (pinky side) and pull the handle with my middle finger. It has turned into a reflex since I lock the doors every time I get in.

Reprogram your customer settings (done at dealership) so that the car doors unlock when the car stops and the key is removed.

The doors will not unlock via door handle. You must either manually unlock or press the lock button.
Interesting. I'm 98% sure that my mother's 2003 LX470 worked the way I'm wanting mine to work. I guess Toyota finally changed it at some point in the 100 series?

Reprogram your customer settings (done at dealership) so that the car doors unlock when the car stops and the key is removed.
Not a bad suggestion but I don't want to do this for security reasons. I never want the doors unlocking unless I tell them to unlock.

Last edited:
My LX 2002 doesn't unlock via the door handle. I have to manually lock or unlock all 4 doors with the button.

My wifes RX doesn't either. Choice of programming my wife insisted on, I don't like it.

Interesting is that the 2 options of unlock all doors with 1 remote press coupled with the doors staying looked upon stopped vs the other mode of having to push remote twice to unlock all but the doors unlock upon "park" is identical with what is the late Range Rovers. I wonder is the computer the same or is there some "security" logic to have only these 2 arrangements. I would rather have all doors unlock with 1 remote press and all unlock upon "park". Never mind security I want to get OUT of my car NOW!:confused:

I find this very interesting, as mine do unlock when operating the door handle (inside handle - clarity for those trying to car-jack me!)

I just got clarification from mom that her LX470 was a 2003. My earlier posts have been updated to reflect this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom