1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doorbell ring at 2:45 am : home security

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by crholliday, Jul 19, 2005.

1. crholliday

crholliday Frisbeetarianist

So the doorbell rings at 2:45 am. This can never be a good thing. I debate putting pants on before I go to the front of the house. I can see through the translucent front door panes that there is someone standing on my porch. The porch is lit up like a Christmas tree so he is pretty exposed. White male in his mid 30s wearing a black t-shirt and black pants. He looked pretty strung out, probably a crankster or crack head.

I crack the door a little (the storm door is still closed) with the chain still on the door and gruffly ask what he wants. He gives me the old "his car ran out of gas and he doesn't know anyone in this neighborhood and can we loan him a gas can" routine. I say no. Then he says he will leave his drivers license. I say no. Then he says please he has nobody to turn to, I say no and get the hell off my porch and close the door. He boogies away pretty briskly.

We (wife and I) called the cops and the neighborhood security service but I still couldn't sleep for the rest of the night. It was definitely a hustle, but you have got to have some pretty big nuts to ring someones doorbell at 2:45 am. I was trying to figure out what his strategy was. See if the house was empty (two cars in front of the house)? See if we pushed any alarm buttons before we answered? See if some frail little old lady answered the door? Waited for me to come out of the house before he shot me?

We have neither a gun nor a dog, but I am now considering a gun. I would not want to have one in the house unless my wife learned how to use it. She is tiny - 4'11", 92 lbs - and has incredibly small hands. She is also an ideologue and has an aversion to guns but she can't quite make the intellectual justification stick. I am pretty sure we can get past the aversion.

So the questions are:

What do you think the freak on my porch was up to?
    What would be a good gun for me and the wife and the defense of our home against freaks.

C.

2. Deep South Cruisers

Deep South Cruisers 1978 FJ40 ~ 283 V8

get a tazer and try it out on each other :D

3. mabrodis

mabrodis

There is a slight chance that he was telling the truth and he just needed gas and was just in a hard spot, I wouldn't have let him in either, but I would possibly have loaned him a gas can...did he want gas in it? If he just wanted the can to take to a gas station then that is totally wacked because any gas station has ones they will either loan out or just sell (he wasn't asking for money, so he must have had some)...or you're right and he was just screwing with you. Or maybe he just wanted a gas-can with gas in it to burn down your house.. :doh:

Actually I probably wouldn't have even answered the door, wouldn't have turned any lights on, but would have grabbed my gun, called the police and watched from a upstairs window.

As for what gun, no idea, but it's got to be small and not kick much if your wife would ever consider using it probably...

4. Josh83

Josh83

Go for a small Smith&Wesson revolver in at least a .38 caliber. It is small and will fit small hands well. It will also be super simple to operate, just "point and click".

5. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

I have guns in the house, but...the average crack/meth head wouldn't know it.

What works well for us are our two large dogs who bark very loudly. Seems to deter most people from wanting to get close.

My chow's a major PITA when it comes to barking at people at the door, but I have noticed that solicitors and the rare unsavory individual tend to not linger very long with him barking in front of them. Truth be told, if I turned him loose, he most likely run up to the person, sniff around, then dash off to the yard to piss...but they don't need to know that.

6. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

A watch dog is good early warning and a gun is a good body gaurd. But before you ever purchase one make sure you are absolutely willing to take a life if the chips are down.

Us? We have a tough terrier mutt that only growls when something is up, and my wife bought her own 9mm. And I belive if something came between her and our girls they would be VERY dead.

Jason

7. swank60

swank60

Had a friend broken into in the middle of the day - same sort of tactic. Two guys pull up and ring the doorbell. My friend gets packages from UPS all the time, so he ignored it. His wife was getting out of the shower. Long story short, they didn't get an answer, so the guys went around back and kicked the door in. My friend wound up chasing them out of the house and up the driveway.

He thought about getting a gun, but the answer for him was getting a home alarm system with a keypad by the doors and one upstairs, all with panic buttons.

Could be good that you answered the door - and called the police.

8. zetasig

zetasig

Got Guns and dogs. I Sleep Like a baby. We have a place on Campus here and I have befriended most of the neighbors. I also let them know in various conversations that I would have no problem smoking someone in my place or attempting to take my things. My renters thought I was BSing them until last winter, Someone stole their car for a joy ride, Cops found it and returned it in about 30 mins. They needed to have me park them in until they could get to the shop.
    knock on the door to my place around 2am. Door opens the width of the chain, with 6+ Blue Steel Inches of 12 Gauge poking out. I think that let them know I was not BSing.

Same thing happend a few years ago to me and a Sherriff at another house. Phone was on the fritz and somehow a 911 call went out from our address. Cop was pretty cool about the whole thing. Said he could not blame me.
    Alarms, How many car alarms do you hear every day and dont pay attention to anymore. Panic buttons are good though. The noise will lead the police to your body sooner.

Moral to the story. Better to have and not need then to need and not have.

9. wsdavies

wsdavies

Yea I would have had my Glock g-30 racked and ready

[​IMG]

10. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    My family had a chow when I was growing up, I used to think the same thing. USED TO. After being away from home for over 2 years I came back. During this two year period the dog had begun to loose it's eye sight. When I came through the door the 'beloved family chow' nearly took my foot off. Got about 6 inches away from me growling and snarling until (I guess) it figured out who I was. I had gone in the house alone ahead of my parents just to see the dog... so I was alone. Had my parents been there the reaction would have been totally different I bet. Anyway... whay I"m saying is that your chow might be more dangerous than a gun when you're not there to see it.

As for the question at hand. I have a couple Springfield .40 cal semi-auto pistols. They're very nice, and to me don't have much kick. A small gauge shot gun might be your best bet though.

11. Cruiserhead05

Cruiserhead05 SILVER Star

Get an Ak-47. very easy to short. she'll be fine.....plus if any sees that in the shadows they wont think twice.

12. Deep South Cruisers

Deep South Cruisers 1978 FJ40 ~ 283 V8

I'de wager that a dog is a better deterrent than most. At one time we had 3 large German Shepherds that we would walk every evening. Every time a car stopped by the dogs would go to investigate and NOT ONE PERSON would get out of the car until we came out of the house :D

A gun is fine but I bet the wofe wont use it. Get a taser or pepper spray for her, she might actually use it to defend herself.

13. 97 FZJ80

97 FZJ80

Albums:
    If your home alarm is capable, have it program with a hostage code. It is a code that you punch in to deactivate the alarm without setting off the sirens. The hostage code message is sent to the alarm monitoring company, which in turn will alert the police immediately without a callback to the alarm resident.

14. ken_79-fj40

ken_79-fj40

I have a pitbull/bulldog mix that's the same way. Wouldn't do anything but lick you, but sounds and looks like he would take your head off when you knock on the door. Works VERY well.

15. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    agreed on the dog issue. Flex sounds, looks, and acts like he's going to absolutely kill everyone that comes in the door. Usually takes somebody 2 to 3 visits before he backs off. Pizza delivery is an "on the porch" ordeal.

Works for me. I'll more than likely be getting a gun for the chick....gets off work late at the hospital...dark parking lot.....etc.

And yes, I would kill somebody that ****ed with me in my house.

16. LandCruiserPhil

LandCruiserPhil Peter Pan Syndrome Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Stand at the front door chamber the pump(everyone knows the sound) and tell him to get the f off my porch. Plain and simple

17. wesintl

wesintl

Media:
    Albums:
    Nothing screams home security more than the sound of a shotgun racking 00 Buck. While I have a .40 close by I would opt for the shotgun anyday of the week.

18. NovaFZJ80

NovaFZJ80

Seems kinda odd to just ask for a gas can, when you can get one from the gas station...think he was surveillancing your house...be alert for a few days or forever...get a dog before getting a gun if you don't think you can take the life of an intruder...

See who responds faster, 911, a dog, or your gun to an intruder...sure isn't A.

19. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

Dogs are an interesting thing. We had a Pit Bull when I was growing up, fantastic dog. He would let good friends into the house with no one else there. Just give them the key, he recognized them and would just open up for a litlte bit of love. But every once in awhile there were people he didnt like for no reason at all... just something about them
    This Terrier mutt we have now is that way. He has a short not yappy warning bark, and a deep growl. He always barks at people approaching the door. The growl seems to be reserved for when he is damn serious. Never seen anybody push closer when he is growling.

Jason

20. albee

albee

1000' driveway into the woods and three big dogs. I do not get very many uninvited guests.