Door Weatherstrip Installation HELP! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I have a '75 FJ40 and I'm on the home stretch with the restoration, but have hit another annoying snag. I bought aftermarket weather strips from Cool Cruisers for the driver/passenger doors.

It's seeming like they aren't a great fit. It's hard to set them up to test fit, but I'm trying to do it as best I can with tape etc. before committing to gluing. It seems like they are very thick and are going to cause a lot of interference. It's also hard to know exactly where to glue to ensure the best fit/if they will fit. I may have a bit of adjustment to make with the doors which may help a bit, but I don't imagine enough to make a huge difference. Its especially tight along the seam where the door lines up with the windshield. I can only seem to get the door to click to the first notch and not the second.

Overall they seem bulky, but it's hard to know if they will flatten down after installed. All I know now is I don't think the doors will close very nicely once I put them on.

Of course OEM is better, but that's not where I'm at given I bought the CCOT one's already, so I'm curious if anyone out there as used aftermarket (or even specifically the CCOT ones) and if they might have any tips on this.

Thanks!

Even with OEM, they are very thick. New seal usually require a lot of force to close. It cures a lot of rattles if it is tight, though.

Even with OEM, they are very thick. New seal usually require a lot of force to close. It cures a lot of rattles if it is tight, though.
I recently installed all new weatherstripping too. From reading and asking lots of questions here,, I used 3M 08011 adhesive and followed the recommended directions. It worked great. (Less is more). The weatherstripping is fat. Getting the doors to latch was a bit of a challenge. What ended up working was to loosen the inner door latch mechanism enough to put about a 1/8" spacer. For our situation this allowed the door to latch onto the striker. Eventually, the passenger side loosened up enough to return the latch to its normal position. The driver's side is still tighter and really takes more of a slam to get it to latch. But it is a good feeling to have tight doors.
Good luck with your install.

I recently installed all new weatherstripping too. From reading and asking lots of questions here,, I used 3M 08011 adhesive and followed the recommended directions. It worked great. (Less is more). The weatherstripping is fat. Getting the doors to latch was a bit of a challenge. What ended up working was to loosen the inner door latch mechanism enough to put about a 1/8" spacer. For our situation this allowed the door to latch onto the striker. Eventually, the passenger side loosened up enough to return the latch to its normal position. The driver's side is still tighter and really takes more of a slam to get it to latch. But it is a good feeling to have tight doors.
Good luck with your install.

I used the 3M weatherstrip adhesive as well. I was taught to lay a thin bead out, then spread it out with a finger. Wait until it feels cold and tacky (usually less than a minute or 2), and stick it on. It should just hold itself on. Wax and grease remover works great to clean it up if you miss a little bit. It's a bit of a pain to clean otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom