door swap, replacing pre 75 with post 75 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Front hard doors. I know the doors fits but on the striker end is it as simple as swaping to the 75+ strikers? or is there more too it?

Also on the stoper hinge, any tricks or no mods needed?

Just picked up a set of nice(solid) 79 doors and want to run them on my 67 fj45, I know its been done many times.

Should be as strait forward as it seems...

Had a '69 that came with those doors on it...

I had some 77 doors on my 64 cruiser and they worked fine. The strikers bolted right up. I didn't put on the door stopper though because I didn't know were to start drilling holes in my cruiser. I don't know it this is possible but could you maybe modify the old door stops to work on the newer doors? Just a thought and good luck. :)

John,
I think Poser is right on the money, they swap out. The bolt holes are the same, yes?
Ed Long :)

I'm guessing you can go from early door to late door witout any problems either?
I would like to make some half doors for my '79.

We are talking about going from early doors to late doors. Did you mean late doors to early doors? :D

I'm wondering if pre '75(?) doors will fit on my '79 by simply changing the striker. If it's much more than that then I'm not sure it would be worth the time to make half doors unless they are late model.

thanks guys :) I forgot to get the strikers.........so I need to go back and grab em ;)

Might the depth of the hinges effect the inset of the doors? Not sure as I had a friend who said his 75 doors hit on his 68 on the dash. I know the later doors are thicker but have a recessed spot for the hinges. I did see one set up (67 45) had put later model post in so the striker didn't stick out.

Worst case, you may have space the striker out from the tub a bit....I had to in order to make my 'glass half doors work on my '69-40. They are the 'glass copies of the later doors...

Hope that helps!

Good luck!

-Steve

DomSmith said:
Thread back from the dead...

Pimp- Did this work for you? My newer strikers installed on a 73 don't allow the newer style doors to close all the way. Did you have to modify the mounting point on the tub? Mine leaves an inch or more gap....

Dom, I did not see this thread the first time around, or would have commented back then. I have seen this situation as well. A guy came into the shop with the late doors on an early cruiser. I suggested that he attach a 3/4" piece of angle iron to the inside of the pillar and remount the striker on the angle iron.

He came back a couple of weeks later with the doors flush mounted. He ended up welding the late model strikers onto the angle iron because the screw holes ended up in the wrong place and he decided that welding them on was better than drilling even more holes in the pillar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom