Door Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.sneech.com
I have been working on my FJ62 doors and now it's time to put them back together. When I took them apart there was a plastic sheet between the door and the trim panel. It was afixed to the door with some kind of black sticky stuff. Does anyone know where I can get this sticky stuff or something similar. I don't have enough left on my doors to reuse. I am just going to get some new plastic sheet and trim it to fit but I need something to seal it to the door.

Thanks for any help.

dang it.....I forget what the goo is called, pretty sure 3m make it

Yeah, what is that stuff called? ???

Uh, I don't think it's the weatherstripping adhesive--that's too strong, you want to be able to pull it back off again if you have to.

I used to know this . . . uh, too much :beer:

I called 3M's automotive product selector hotline and they didn't come up with much. They gave me 8219 and 8215 but said they were more like emblem adhesive. I searched for them on their website but can't find them. They give different part numbers for the same stuff in different size containers...not very helpful when searching. I asked about their super weather strip adhesive and they said it would probably work. It is supposed to stay flexible but it doesn't stay sticky or tacky.

try a auto glass place, they will have it. and let us know what it's called, the name is on the tip of my tounge(sp).......

mastic(sp) or something like that........yeah thats it.....

Masitc. That's the key word I needed! :D

http://tinyurl.com/2u45b

This is the first cord style mastic I found at 3M. Now I just have to figure out where to get it. Thanks!

I just never cease to amaze myself...... :flipoff2: ::)

So I guess braincells do rejouvenate ::)

Called an auto glass place and they call this stuff Butyl...or butyl rubber. I have used butyl rubber sheet to protect strain gages during out door stress tests so I know what that is...but it wasn't as sticky or tacky. A telcom friend of mine calls the 3M mastic cord "Monkey Poo". They use it for sealing up direct burial splice cases. Thinking back several years to my summer internship at freightliner testing I used something similar that they called "hucky puck".

I ended up calling my regular auto parts store (which I shoulda dun first :slap:) and they assure me they have that and many other nasty sticky sealer compounds.

Thanks for the help!

Maybe I should send a tube of it to Janet Jackson :D

Ok You guys wanted to know what I ended up with. It is 3M Windo-Weld Ribbon sealer P/N 08610. It is actually and auto galss replacement kit. It a 1/4" round bead 15 feet long.

Now all I need is some propane for the shop heater :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom