1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Door panel removal fj40

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by FJResto, Mar 3, 2007.

1. FJResto

FJResto

Ive got a 76 and I cant figure out how to take the door panel off....all the pops are out, the door pull is off but i cant get around the window crank....what is the secret here? How do I get the window crank handle off? Thanks

2. AnthroCruiser

AnthroCruiser

The crank just pulls off, if I remember correctly. Then the panel just comes right off. I didn't have to use a puller to get mine off, but I might have pried at the base with a pickle fork or something similar.

- Matt

Yeah, there was a clip... forgot about that. :)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
    MoabChris likes this.
  3. matt.mcinnes

matt.mcinnes 2F-ETI

Yep there is a small clip behind the winder hard to see and get at.

Slim screw driver might get it but i prefer somthing thin with a hook on the end too easy then.

See No1

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  4. Waorani

Waorani

There's a special tool sold at most auto parts place for removing the window crank. Couldn't find the one I had so just bought another one a couple of days ago. Its not too expensive. Slide between handle and plastic bushing to push clip off. When putting back together go ahead and put clip on crank first and then push on. Clip will lock it in place. I've also removed them with small hook to pull the clip off.

5. bomber22

bomber22

take a red shop rag and slide it between the door panel and the plastic washer. then slide the rag around until you pop off the "c" clip. to install , put the "c" clip on the crank handle and push onto the crank spline , wala.

6. Hobbs

Hobbs

X2 on the shop rag technique....

7. FJResto

FJResto

Thanks guys, I got it....bought the tool for 6 bucks. Just wanted to post back a thank you and if you use the tool, slide it in inline with the line of the handle...that is how the clip sits