Door mounted speakers, how I did it. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A while back some folks were asking about speakers. While I had the door skins off anyway today to change out the door lock motors, i took some picks of what I did it case it helps somebody.

Front door
Kenwood 6.5 three way.
A plywood spacer ring was created that:
1) supported the door's inner panel and
2) spaces the magnet out from the window runner.

The OEM poly nuts are used to hold this on with large FH wood screws.
PkvWtcX.jpg

s1d98AL.jpg

I removed the factory grills as mine were pretty beat up. The new speaker's mounting screws line up with the slots the OEM grill was mounted through.
KzQPC7r.jpg

Wired up the speaker per instructions and screwed it to the plywood spacer with the included screws.
The speaker sandwiches the door panel and the plywood ring.

Put on the grill and time for Step 6!
dcODWCb.jpg

Rear Door:
4" Kenwood 2 ways, ( CORRECTED, from 4.5")
I recycled the OEM speaker cups but they take a fair bit of altering. The entire bottom is removed and all internal protrusions cut away, I used a hacksaw blade in a single ended handle.
I could have done this similar to the fronts, but I didn't want to drill holes in the doors, ended up doing that anyway in the end, kinda got wrapped around the axle and headed down a path a I saw to the end, right wrong or indifferent.
So the cups go back on the door, so that the OEM grills get recycled. But the speakers needed the have separate mounting screws. I used some long Tek screws and ran them though standoffs so the speaker's mounting ears wouldn't be bent over.
CFSb8jb.jpg

Only 2 of the 4 mounting ears could be used though.
0GVeg6h.jpg

The inside of the grills had to be relieved slightly over the head of each mounting screw so the grill would snap on tightly.
ajcOGLT.jpg

And another step 6! yeah..the end.

Last edited:
1/2" because that's what I had on hand. 3/8 would work fine, wouldn't know the difference.

Thanks for sharing, I read everywhere a lot of 6.5" speakers fit but when I measured the hole I see its only 5.5". I purchased the truck with these empty holes so i am unsure if I am missing anything.

IMG_0179.JPG

Don’t have a pic of the fronts, but I have the same 5 1/4” Kickers up there. Used 1/2” nylon spacers epoxied to the back and then screwed to the metal of the door.

The rear spacer is one off of eBay. Think it came from Australia IIRC. Had to open up the hole in the door slightly for clearance.

Thanks for sharing, I read everywhere a lot of 6.5" speakers fit but when I measured the hole I see its only 5.5". I purchased the truck with these empty holes so i am unsure if I am missing anything.

View attachment 1845335

I took the dead speakers and went to Best Buy and started comparing. That's how I ended up with the sizes I did.
I don't know if all speakers come with the template on the box, but Kenwoods do. Their 6.5 in the front doors are drop in replacements excepts for the deeper magnet requiring the spacer ring to clear the window run.
I would have purchased a poly spacer ring, but they didn't have any. I asked where I could buy some and got the :meh: salute.
Rather then drive all over creation to find them, or wait two days for them to show up in the mail, I made some and got the job done.

Rusty, This is almost exactly what I have done. My spacer for the front was a piece of scrap 1/2" treated plywood I had laying around. (to any and all thinking of this; treated plywood is a pretty low grade, and doesn't handle being turned into a ring very well f.y.i)
I really with these JBL club series 6520's I have used a more normal grill though, It would clean up my install a lot. The tweeter is "exposed," and there is a portion of the grill that protrudes an extra 3/16" which squishes against the dash just a bit. I'll get some more pictures loaded into my "build" thread tomorrow. (it doesn't have the build tag/header)
Also, kudos to the poly spacer thing for the rears, that is exactly what I will do. I soldered up my other 3 speakers, and modded my oem bucket tonight so if I can sneak short day tomorrow I should have stereo again. Yay! Or, I'm out in the driveway with shoplights, Booo!

Anyone know the max mounting depth without spacer?

ewillis, of the speakers, or of the space we have to work in? If I remember correctly for the fronts it is crazy small, like 1-1/4" or something before the magnet hits the window run channel. I think the only off the shelf speaker anyone's found is some Focal nano series?
The rear is better if you stick with 4" and use the factory buckets, otherwise you are in for more custom work like the fronts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom