door hinge pins (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

have you tried pb blaster? from a softtop point of view, are you sure it takes pins, softtop hinges don't have removable pins? do they move at all? try rocking the door back and forth while someone hits the pin with a punch.

small punch big hammer.

edit: also, when the upper hinge pins get almost all the way out, they bump into the windshield frame...or something. It's been a while.

pins

pb, heat, then pin punch and perciverence.(sp) when it is all over replace the bushings with the cool bronze ones from the guy in n.j.

they were a perfict fit on mine using the original pins jim

sorry don't have have his addy. maybe someone? jim:cheers:

also, when the upper hinge pins get almost all the way out, they bump into the windshield frame.

They do, but you don't have to take them all the way out to get the doors off. You can knock them out, past the windshield, but not if you've got nice paint you want to keep nice.

Someone post up if you find a link to the bronze bushings. I need a set.

I used a rivit gun on the bottom to start the pin out, then a small drift. I could not get them out with a hammer but the rivit gun did the trick. T

X-2 on the rivet gun

my 2 cents.. put the top pin in upside down if u plan on taking them out to take your doors off... kind of a PITA to fold down the windshield (in some cases) everytime u wanna take off your doors.

Home made pins

This was cut & pasted from my thread Brian was speaking of. I unfortunately don't have pics of the process. I snapped some pics of them installed. They have light surface rust but are holding up really well for their third season,
I guess you can get the idea;

"Or you can make some like I've shown Brian. I got a stainless steel bolt with an unthreaded shank long enough to pass through the entire hinge assy, I then turned it in my drill press, kind of like running them in a lathe. I rounded the hex heads & made them button-like and smoothed out the shank. The set ended up costing me $2.00 and about 2 hours of labor. I (From Brian's advice) cross drilled the two top pins so I could insert them from the bottom and hold them in place with a washer and clip pin. They dont interfere with the windshield frame any more. I put the doors on yesterday and they were really easy to do."
pin1.jpg
pin.jpg
pin2.jpg

I used a rivit gun on the bottom to start the pin out, then a small drift. I could not get them out with a hammer but the rivit gun did the trick. T

I dont have the windshield on so that is not a problem... what is a rivit gun... :eek:

Are these on your old tub?

well they are attached to the cowl of the old tube so yea... look again at the last page of my build you will see them.. I got the doors on their now... but I wanted to get everything set on there so they would be less of a hassel to put the doors back on once they are all repainted...

If the hammer and punch won't work, unbolt the hinges from the door and try to work each pin free seperately.

If the hammer and punch won't work, unbolt the hinges from the door and try to work each pin free seperately.

yea I have tried that also... but I started last night spraying it with PB... and I when I take those doors off I will use heat (which I have not tried) and I am sure they will come out with enough force...

Thanks guys!!! (ohhh and girls :D )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom