Door hinge bushings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My drivers door is sagging just a bit; anyone know where to get new bushings? I'm guessing you replace them similar to how you do on the 90's Chevy trucks?

I think the SOR ones are for a 40 series - those hinges are different that the 60 series... Never seen commercially avail ones for a 60 series - There is a thread somewhere, where the poster details how he made bronze ones for his 60 hinges.

There are also universal "kits" available to drill out and replace the pivot, but I've never used one.

Found it:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/339304-hj61-sahara-overhaul-3.html

These would be the shizzle with grease nipples on the bottom. 10mm bushies, too.

Dorman Products - 38455

Last edited:
I've got two 60's and a spare set of hinges in the garage -- Just looked at 'em, all have bushies.:meh:

Pretty sure my 60 has bushings also; it was getting dark last night when I looked at it--it's been sagging for a while but I've been tinkering with the rig and for some reason it's really starting to bug me. Sure seems like every time I decide to do a little something I find 13 more things to fix/modify! Thanks for the input guys.

So you made me go out and look. It looks like there are bushings, but it would be a major task rebuilding the hinge since the hinge pin is a rivet. I suppose you could grind off one end of the hinge pin and then try and find some small bushings that size and put a bolt in place of the hinge pin. For us mere mortals, that would be too much. I think the hinges are something like $30 each. It smarts, but only for a little while. In my case, only the drivers door was sagging. You can be sure my other hinges are now lubed with lithium grease.

Our hinges don't have bushings. Well, at least my FJ62 didn't. I replaced the hinges with OEM while I had the front fender off. Would be a pain to do with the fender on.

How much of a chore is it to get the fender(s) off? I've tried adjusting my doors but gave up because there was no way I could get any kind of wrench in there with the fenders still in place.

i'm parting an 87 right now, if you're interested in buying the hinges off it.

The FSM shows an SST that is some kind of bent wrench. Short of tracking down one of those, you could maybe try making your own from a sacrificial wrench. If you can't get/make the SST, you definitely will be taking your fender off. I can't say I did it the right way, or even the smart way, but I separated the fender from the wheel well and removed the inner and outer fender pieces together. The hardest part was digging out the seam sealer where the wheel well meets the outer fender and around behind the headlight door. Once you get the seam sealer dug out and everything that mounts to the inner fender wall removed, you should be able to see all the bolts you need to remove. Most of them have some seam sealer around them. You have to also dig out the 5 or 6 bolts that go up through the wheel well into the inner fender wall. I replaced the hinges while I had the fender off to track down a leak. If you could find or make an SST, it might be quicker.

Yep...sacrificial wrench is the way to go. Get a few from a yard sale, swap meet type of place and cut them in half. Weld the handle back at 45 degrees and have at it. You could also heat the snot outta it (cherry red) and bend it.

I have a few crescent-shaped wrenches 12mm that are pretty good bend... Wasn't able to do it with those... Would probably have to get at least a 90* angle on a wrench, if not a full U - shape.

Problem is there's a lip on the hinge so you have to be able to reach all the way in back of it, coming in from the fender side... Prolly less work to just remove or loosen the fender from the wheel well.

Holy crap I didn't realize this was gonna turn into a whole 'nother project! $30 ain't really that bad except I need like 30 things that cost $30--it just never ends!
I do have a new welding machine I need to learn how to use--might as well us it to make me a tool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom