Door Courtesy Light Disable Switch - Pic Heavy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I decided to install a simple switch to disable the door courtesy lights when the rear hatch is open. Whether you're tailgating or camping, it is nice to have the ability to turn off the door lights. Some have resorted to removing fuses or bulbs, while some have shoved carabiners into the locking mechanism to disable the lights.

Here's a simple, one banana :banana: solution!

First step is to go out and purchase a simple switch that appeals to you. You can use any style that suits your taste, whether it's a rocker, push-button, or toggle switch. I went with a simple SPST on/off rocker switch from my local electronics store (Fry's Electronics). Manufactured by Philmore, part number is 30-16605. Cost was under $3:

FullSizeRender 19.jpg

FullSizeRender 16.jpg

Remove the panels from the upper rear tailgate. Here are a few shots of the trim piece that surrounds the upper hatch release lever as it went under the knife (Dremel, Exacto knife, and miniature files):

FullSizeRender 22.jpg

FullSizeRender 32.jpg

FullSizeRender 17.jpg

Next, test fit and install the switch into the garnish panel:

FullSizeRender 15.jpg

FullSizeRender 24.jpg

Remove the linkage, unplug the harness, and the 3 bolts that holds the latch mechanism to the upper tailgate. Remove the assembly:

FullSizeRender 12.jpg

Remove the electrical tape to expose the two wires:

FullSizeRender 8.jpg

Using a small screw driver or pick, unlatch the pin and pull the wire/pin (white wire with black stripe) out of the housing. Carefully slice about 1" of the heat shrink tubing to allow for some slack:

FullSizeRender 18.jpg

Last edited:
Next, cut the white wire with the black stripe, strip about 3/8" of the insulation, twist the copper strands, and install butt connectors:

FullSizeRender 11.jpg

Crimp approximately 5" of 18ga wire to each butt connector and slip some heat shrink tubing over the connections:

FullSizeRender 21.jpg

Apply heat to the shrink tubing and re-install the pin into the plug. Listen for the click and give the wire a good tug to make sure it is inserted in the correct orientation:

FullSizeRender 31.jpg

Tidy up the wiring with some good 'ol electrical tape and attach female spade connectors to each wire:

FullSizeRender 25.jpg

Reinstall the latch assembly, reconnect the linkage, and plug in the harness. Orient the new wiring as shown and make sure that it does not interfere with the moving internals of the mechanism:

FullSizeRender 20.jpg

Last edited:
Connect the wires to the newly installed switch:

FullSizeRender 23.jpg

Next, reinstall the garnish:

FullSizeRender 28.jpg

Final and most important step:

:beer:

Last edited:
Cool option. I just learned last week about pushing the latch closed (used the key) to fool the sensor. Pretty quick and easy, but you have to remember to squeeze tbe handle to reopen tbe latch before closing the door.

Thanks for the write-up and pics. This mod is a lot more useful if you camp off the tailgate like we do than the carabiner, which tends to discourage use of the lighting.

I decided to install a simple switch to disable the door courtesy lights when the rear hatch is open. Whether you're tailgating or camping, it is nice to have the ability to turn off the door lights. SNIP

I'm enjoying the heck out of this mod, way out of proportion to the size and cost. Thanks again.

I did want to note a modest clarification. The switch installed like this will give you manual control at the rear hatch over when the door courtesy light and cargo bay light operate,. instead of simply in accord with the rear hatch's position.

The bonus is that the rear passenger doors still operate the same lights just as before. This mod changes nothing over the more forward part of these lamps' control circuit, which is fine by me. If you want to control that other than by the switch on the overhead lamp that Mr. T provides, then another mod will be required.

I'm enjoying the heck out of this mod, way out of proportion to the size and cost. Thanks again.

I did want to note a modest clarification. The switch installed like this will give you manual control at the rear hatch over when the door courtesy light and cargo bay light operate,. instead of simply in accord with the rear hatch's position.

The bonus is that the rear passenger doors still operate the same lights just as before. This mod changes nothing over the more forward part of these lamps' control circuit, which is fine by me. If you want to control that other than by the switch on the overhead lamp that Mr. T provides, then another mod will be required.

Glad you like the simple mod! The switch should have been there from the factory IMO.

Discovered another bonus here - or a caution depending on how you look at this "feature."

On our truck, when the switch is thrown to turn the cargo dome lamp and courtesy lights off, it also allows the alarm to arm and lets the side doors lock. Depending on the alarm wiring you have, YMMV. I moved the internal motion sensor with its blinking red LED lower in the dash to a lower position when I installed my CDL switch. It may still require a cover to avoid the sensor sensing movement when camping in the unit.

It's always made me a bit nervous to sleep with the truck fully unlocked. True, we'll usually leave the tailgate open still, but it's enclosed by the awning with our kitchen etc in it. It would be hard for a critter to sneak up without making noise and/or being distracted by the food there.

Cool option. I just learned last week about pushing the latch closed (used the key) to fool the sensor. Pretty quick and easy, but you have to remember to squeeze tbe handle to reopen tbe latch before closing the door.

And remember not to slam the hatch closed.

Holy crap I wish more people would post like this. Just do it for F sake. I will be doing this. And now I will know exactly how.

Now do the same thing for:
One touch sunroof opening/closing
and
Disable the f#^*ing auto door locks!!!

The auto door locks are controlled by the alarm system. On my '94 there is a DIP switch on the TVSS alarm unit to configure the option.

Last edited:
Thats some good info. I will check it out. It would be nice if I could hit a switch. Too bad the sunroof safety wasn't optional.

Just an FYI, if you leave this switch in the "lights off" position, the alarm system won't know that you have opened the rear hatch and will automatically re-lock the doors and arm the alarm after the preset time period. Certainly not a deal breaker, but something to be aware of.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom