door ajar light on intermittent - driver door (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When door is shut, door ajar light (and related lights: OH dome, door pocket) will sometimes turn on...really pulling in hard on door will usually turn back off, but eventually - for example, if I just lean against door - it will revert back to on. Is there a sensor or contact that can be cleaned? Checked the old threads, can't find an answer. [PO had an issue with sticky seatbelt = slamming door onto belt buckle and door maybe a mm or two off of fully closing, related to this issue maybe?]

Probably contacts built inch latch mechanism. You might try to adjust closure pin inward maybe 1/16".

When door is shut, door ajar light (and related lights: OH dome, door pocket) will sometimes turn on...really pulling in hard on door will usually turn back off, but eventually - for example, if I just lean against door - it will revert back to on. Is there a sensor or contact that can be cleaned? Checked the old threads, can't find an answer. [PO had an issue with sticky seatbelt = slamming door onto belt buckle and door maybe a mm or two off of fully closing, related to this issue maybe?]
Have you checked the door switch? It’s got a push in actuator that could easily be broken with a seat belt fouled door slam.

Last edited:
Both good tips - heading out to the rig now - thanks much, gents!

Reluctantly and shamed, I share this so that others might catch it pre-purchase. Of course, how could anyone miss it? Well, in the middle of crawling underneath and checking maintenance records, I did.

The PO's sticky seatbelt buckle battered the meeting edge of the car door *so much* that the metal reverse-dimple on the door has been depressed to where it does not trigger the actuator. The good news is the actuator works fine. And, it is still the factory original door, not swapped in after an unreported accident, which briefly worried me.

The bad news is 1) I missed catching this (including PO's ingenious fix, which I just now noticed, see below pic), and 2) I need to figure out how to knock it back out. Or just slap a few more layers of thick velcro on to shim it inline.

Actuator fine, beat up door on frame side:
pUFtGACsJK5-DY4BJl3fWlko5sA1b1lkSaUp-HolwUqbmjs0j181c12XhdlFlXPpQkcFs9IijnodqMQubL6hvwFtqaYngTBZb1cHRrZ1ld8DozEXTxSMzjkxziEUKPZjxuiAo2iePM-UWdZes3VHDg9qZCPLlukbZ06RN-qYGXFS3DHZ4SP4aOLv31SXyq9hhB0RizOkAPxe-v9zo0KmZCqrtFJEzAxyteh3fbOuYWG6QO_i5TT7fTsphjZtYWi16gOtdRpkWEAs9iol-sdGzA2b5_0GfVOi-FalDWwu79u4uwQCxxW2yZldaBUcJLRivBUKyXcrZYHwW1bEf1H_TdoxYsE-2Sr_5fGNoFEg45GURzD-NOIJFQ6JncAhchC5Pf5Xv-0BiBBqJToySgqhHCFH351LTjPBEmovfFVMonX-RzvMuxcrI4txx2PvuifPMdJTD0QPLfbOoHoJ8qs9awd5pCl2GacNvMxZiKbS65sGzYKNzP8fR4DTDC1a4ClKv-Fe0_7bUlXkLyaq_Icq__Dn1QniUooPfaatCBYu3OpQtAPd2njx3duP_ILVmH3YrrAEu-PMrsurs-R5jBUc41M7tiHAMcZASYf9W2hANqKJF4OcAOaJ4-ClVXkBDTIG=w1092-h1454-no

Really beat up door edge & factory-approved velcro fix. Enjoy:
mj6wBHaVIAk5HQHX1XV4IbePRsyyHxaSVkox4ODeGb__pKyMSiTXKclQmfN-TP9f8qHObl3k0CSTyF1SXcoQUi0PpUrYGBYWTSnGMSV_I0qEOa89Vct99osvyGlGYkX8XJ4xsOq4Cucq0jznvJQgGnoFOyzinHOFfGDu9rRG6MJrA9vzg9YqUnRZoU0FnHAf9IOyI8NvEWqhjJjg0W0eJe9Eoag1UfGcdi6OdV0712W6MkcpSsj5pDctCBM4gpFQSsaBP_T2zGivW2WnC4RXnxOfPcA-EALEpJPSZ56-Mq4_MACaHX0O9jehfgI3Wgrd_1yJCLH7kyLuwnsdz-EWnEKhQNd2MaujnFaN0NjnCU93kGBUCthBk5rNhAJiNzO1kuHGY_hI-wmhysHh8YCQHVaymGOHH8mgF0FN75BQmchlQSkGOIuw_FkKwre5lE3s6U6cFvaD9CnOxFO5ACAwAI9Oek-tqLry-X5xjm3OuoEcCmt8qsTxBMm9xNzk551HFKmrmsI1dfa8b5ENVm28AGHdw6shpTcbAqLotolVxY_v1KkIVKm3E7rKhTdejy3TWSFv0LKjhiKLHPhbQQUKTS2jx4_L1Rf5wh9qFqSz12tFDCIkwAJiS7wshL7dYuFF=w1092-h1454-no

I had this problem with my PS door switch. Pulled it out cleaned the electrical contacts....still no worky....Pulled it back off and put a thin washer behind it... been working perfect ever since.
6ABB8D01-6756-494B-A9E7-9E81FA7E636C.jpeg

I had this problem with my PS door switch. Pulled it out cleaned the electrical contacts....still no worky....Pulled it back off and put a thin washer behind it... been working perfect ever since. View attachment 1777989
Thanks so much for the tip. I bought some thin rubber fender washers, trimmed them to fit. I needed to stack two to create contact, but works great and they are nearly invisible. (Now, the only idiot light left to deal with is my bulb warning light - because I switched all the lamps out to lower resistance brighter bulbs.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom