Door ajar dash light not working after remote start keyless entry install… (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
EDITED:

Just recently had some speakers put in along with a keyless entry and remote start system. Since the shop did the work my door ajar dash light no longer functions but it does trigger the dome lights when a door is open. I really wish I had used a different shop these guys turned out to be total hacks for other reasons as well.

I’m taking her back up there next week so they can fix a new speaker that isn’t working at all. Is this most likely a fuse issue? Just want an idea as to what is going on in case they try to get cute with me or if it's a simple fix I can check myself….

Last edited:
Sounds like the "Window Lock" switch on the driver's door master switch has been enabled or the the harness to the switch has not been completely seated.

Last edited:
Sounds like the "Door Lock" switch on the driver's door master switch has been enabled or the the harness to the switch has not been completely seated.

Wow I'm such a jackass I didn't even think of that, I just changed that switch it wasn't seated properly....fixed!

Okay so just the door ajar sensor not working haha...edited thread

Okay so just the door ajar sensor not working haha...edited thread
You might want to add a detail to the edit because I was really confused as to why the door lock circuit would affect the door ajar circuit.

When you say the "door ajar sensor" isn't working, do you mean that *none* of them activate the overhead light and the "door ajar" warning light on the instrument cluster? Each door has its own switch, as seen in this thread.

You might want to add a detail to the edit because I was really confused as to why the door lock circuit would affect the door ajar circuit.

When you say the "door ajar sensor" isn't working, do you mean that *none* of them activate the overhead light and the "door ajar" warning light on the instrument cluster? Each door has its own switch, as seen in this thread.

Thank you, yes it's the dash warning light which isn't working the dome lights still get triggered when a door is opened.

You said keyless entry and remote start. I'm assuming you had a full alarm system put in?

From my experience with a Python alarm installation, it taps into the door/dome light circuit for two reasons: 1) to trigger the alarm if a door is opened and 2) to turn on the interior lights when the alarm is disarmed (useful for entering your car at night).

I'm guessing that they tapped into this circuit for one or both reasons. My *completely random guess* would be that they maybe used one of those awful Scotch-Lok taps and it sliced entirely through the wire that feeds the "door ajar" light. Or maybe they just cut the wire and connected it, which would be appalling.

Basically, it could be a ton of reasons from a coincidentally burnt out bulb to all sorts of awful installation practices. I would just tell them to fix it and come back here if they won't or can't, in which case you're going to have to dig into your dash with a multimeter and the wiring diagram.

You said keyless entry and remote start. I'm assuming you had a full alarm system put in?

From my experience with a Python alarm installation, it taps into the door/dome light circuit for two reasons: 1) to trigger the alarm if a door is opened and 2) to turn on the interior lights when the alarm is disarmed (useful for entering your car at night).

I'm guessing that they tapped into this circuit for one or both reasons. My *completely random guess* would be that they maybe used one of those awful Scotch-Lok taps and it sliced entirely through the wire that feeds the "door ajar" light. Or maybe they just cut the wire and connected it, which would be appalling.

Basically, it could be a ton of reasons from a coincidentally burnt out bulb to all sorts of awful installation practices. I would just tell them to fix it and come back here if they won't or can't, in which case you're going to have to dig into your dash with a multimeter and the wiring diagram.

Damn it that actually sounds about right, half assed hack job. I hope they take accountability for it because it would be a lot easier for them to fix it since they know what they did exactly rather than me having to dig through it…

Thank you for the input at least I have an idea of what I’m dealing with when I talk to them.

So these guys have had my truck for a week now and are trying to tell me the rear speaker just isn’t going to work unless I get an amp, total BS all I did was replace stock components and they were working fine before.

They also told me that the remote start keyless entry has nothing to do with the door ajar light issue and it’s because I need a new door sensor. It’s true I have one on the way but it’s not just that single door the door ajar dash light doesn’t work for any of the doors but the dome lights come on. It was working when I gave the truck to them.

I told them I have a million other things to do on that truck and they are holding me up, if they can’t fix it that’s fine I’ll talk to American Express it just is what it is. I said “if it was your car would you just be cool about someone telling you oh hey sorry this stuff just isn’t going to work anymore it is what it is”. They asked to keep it until Friday, I didn’t get mad or raise my voice it wasn’t a contentious thing I just want it fixed and to be honest with me if they couldn’t fix it.

The rear speaker I’m sure I can find someone to get that right but I really hope they fix the door ajar issue themselves, I know it’s going to be a mess sorting out what they did. Whatever they spliced into or disconnected or whatever it is I really hope they stop giving me the run around on it and trying to blame it on the one door actuator which is bad.

This is the 4th time I’m leaving it with them, let’s see what happens…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom