Don't you hate it when your intake leaks oil? I know I do. *SOLVED* (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Boy oh boy, nothing gets me going quite as well as oil burning on a hot exhaust flange. I have been trying to figure out where in the hell this oil is coming from for the past month.

This is the area it is dripping from. The brown stain isn't related, not sure what the PO dripped on it. This rig is full of hillbilly repairs and not the good kind.
20200515_23270233.jpg

I put dye in the oil a couple days ago to track down leaks. This is the underside of the intake runner. I looked around the runner and could not find any trace of origin.
20200516_143906.jpg

20200515_235740.jpg

Check the valve cover gasket you say? replaced a couple months ago and sealed up tight. I was really hoping this was the issue. This is drivers side.
20200515_225000.jpg

As you can see, the leak is just enough to smell awful and get you super fun looks when you shut your truck down.
20200515_224417.jpg

As best I can tell, this oil is somehow coming out of the intake runner. I could not find a leak anywhere and the intake bolts are tight. I also don't have a smoke screen when driving down the road. My idle is stable and I get standard dog s*** 3FE performance. I'm not sure what catastrophic failure would need to happen to leak oil out of intake runner but im sure the LC would not be moving under it's own power. I thought a cracked head might be spraying oil but I couldn't find a crack and I have no spray pattern. Im open to any ideas you guys might have.

I would be inclined to think that the PCV valve is sticking and drawing more oil than necessary into the TB. There is possibly enough gap in that bolted seam to leak oil, but not enough to leak air through the oil.

Maybe install a catch can on the PCV line and see if it goes away.

That's not enough oil to create a fog after the cats.

A bad valve cover gasket can cause a vacuum leak and cause the PCV line to suck more oil due to air coming in and picking up oil.

Good luck!

I installed a catch can and it filled up after a short drive, at this rate I would need a catch bucket. I replaced the pcv with grommet and no change. I noticed the intake tube is pulling a pretty good vaccum. The valve cover gasket is new.

I installed a catch can and it filled up after a short drive, at this rate I would need a catch bucket. I replaced the pcv with grommet and no change. I noticed the intake tube is pulling a pretty good vaccum. The valve cover gasket is new.
In that case, I'd say you're getting due for new rings with a lot of blow by.

Maybe do a compression test and leak down test to see what's up.

I bypassed the intake tube for the PCV and let it vent into the catch can to see what the output looks like. After warming up and doing a mix of freeway and street driving I got maybe a 1/4 teaspoon in the catch can. I plan on checking the intake vacuum at that tube tomorrow or Friday.

Took the LC in for a valve adjustment at Landcruiser NW and spoke to the tech that did the adjustment. He said based on the carbon build up on the valve train it was probably the baffle in the valve cover. So today I did the dumbest thing I could think of and drilled out all of the spot welds. After regretting every choice in life that led me to that point I cleaned out all the carbon build up and the welded up all 30ish holes. Drove home from the shop and sure enough the catch can was empty. Had filled on the same drive previously. Shout out to the dudes at Landcruiser NW. Thanks for coming to my ted talk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom