Dont think pilgrim tub is easy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's across the board with ALL specialty car shops. Rarely will they not talk trash. I have hung around a lot of car and race shops in my limited time with a license. I guess it's just the nature of the beast.

One thing I know. Now matter how good the shop, they all F up a car here and there. A lot of times people don't understand their legal rights and don't force the shop to make good, give up and go to a competitor shop for the fix.

What you end up with is tht everyone has fixed a competitors mistake, therefor they use that as a basis of how all of their work has done.

Imaging if doctors did this?!

"He told you that it's cancer?! That guy does shoddy work.. You just have the Flu, here take this"

The problem with dealing with any off shore supplier is that it becomes a lot harder to fight for your legal rights. Although, if their reputation goes down the drain... so does their buisness.

That said, i'm surprised by this. Paul has had an excelent reputation, and I'd like to hear his explanation for what has happened in this case.

That's across the board with ALL specialty car shops. Rarely will they not talk trash. I have hung around a lot of car and race shops in my limited time with a license. I guess it's just the nature of the beast.

One thing I know. Now matter how good the shop, they all F up a car here and there. A lot of times people don't understand their legal rights and don't force the shop to make good, give up and go to a competitor shop for the fix.

What you end up with is tht everyone has fixed a competitors mistake, therefor they use that as a basis of how all of their work has done.

Imaging if doctors did this?!

"He told you that it's cancer?! That guy does shoddy work.. You just have the Flu, here take this"

Yep, seen it and heard it said many times. The difference between a doctor and a mechanic is; A mechanic can fix his problem, a doctor buries his lol

Rob:beer:

Really wish Paul would jump in here. I have seen his tubs before at Cool Cruisers. What I saw was excellent . MIke

Really wish Paul would jump in here. I have seen his tubs before at Cool Cruisers. What I saw was excellent . MIke

x2. I was at Cool Cruisers a couple of months ago and they had at least 4 Pilgrim tubs lined up. They all appeared to be in excellent shape, nothing like the photos posted here.

Not saying the tub you got was good or bad, but a couple of points I think need to be added. First, you can't ever expect to simply remove the back 3/4 of your tub and bolt on a new one, aftermarket or used. You are going to have to unbolt the front clip and firewall and line it all up, it takes time and shimming and adjusting. Second, you should never expect to be able to simply bolt a completely assembled hard top to your truck after doing all of this, you have to completely disassemble it, start with the side pieces, and put it all back on the new tub ;)

Now having said all of that, it looks like the quarter panels of that tub have been tweaked, that sucks :frown: Removing the quarter panels to install the top wasn't a good idea, there isn't any way to adjust that gap other than filling with metal and your tub alignment is going to be off (might have been already, just saying).

Sorry to hear about your issues, you sure the shipping company didn't drop that tub (did the front line up flat on the ground)? Don't know what recourse you have now, shipping damage is not a tub manufacturer issue though. Now CCOT's return policy is seeming very suspect, I think your best bet would have been to go after FedEx/UPS ...

Tucker

I agree, I think that Paul deserves a chance to weigh in here. I have one of his half-tubs on my restored cruiser and I am VERY pleased with it. It did have a few minor tweaks that had to be done, but overall i thought the quality was excellent.

Not saying the tub you got was good or bad, but a couple of points I think need to be added. First, you can't ever expect to simply remove the back 3/4 of your tub and bolt on a new one, aftermarket or used. You are going to have to unbolt the front clip and firewall and line it all up, it takes time and shimming and adjusting. Second, you should never expect to be able to simply bolt a completely assembled hard top to your truck after doing all of this, you have to completely disassemble it, start with the side pieces, and put it all back on the new tub ;)

Now having said all of that, it looks like the quarter panels of that tub have been tweaked, that sucks :frown: Removing the quarter panels to install the top wasn't a good idea, there isn't any way to adjust that gap other than filling with metal and your tub alignment is going to be off (might have been already, just saying).

I'm curious how the parts line up on aftermarket parts compared to rust free used parts that haven't had anybody work. I guessing the OEM parts will be more standardized then those made my hand one at a time. I guess I will find out when I install a 78 FJ40 cowl on my 65 FJ45LP-B cab. I think the two bolts on each side is good to line it up real close but will have to try to be sure.

As for the hard top not lining up I have switched many tops between tubs over the years. Never had one not fit. Having to to remove the side panel from B pillar is just not right. Just because a 3/4 tub sitting by itself looks nice and well made doesn't mean all the measurements are correct. But also any cruiser that needs a 3/4 tub replacement has rusted really bad or been wrecked. Either way the first thing that should have be done is the frame stripped bare and laid on a perfectly flat surface and checked against factory specs. A bent frame will cause fitment issues.:meh:

Just to add i have tried contacting Pilgrims several times about buying parts from them but no joy ???

Just to add i have tried contacting Pilgrims several times about buying parts from them but no joy ???

You should feel lucky. Search threads from a few months ago about Paul Pilgram. He has taken many peoples money and has not delivered products he was supposed to. He has basically dissappeared.

It's funny someone brought this back up from the archives. I have since purchased and installed a pilgrim 3/4 tub like the one in this post. I must say it took quiet a bit of work to fit well. For example where the rockets bolt to the firewall the transition on the inner portions was too short and a shim had to be made. Also the rockers weren't very square I had to use large c clamps and hundreds of pounds of force to try to square them with the cowl even then they ended 1/8 to 1/4" off. The hardtop weld nuts in the top panel were not in exactly the correct location and the spare tire carrier captive nuts were in the wrong location by a full inch. For the tune of 7k, I wasn't very impressed.

I didnt know Paul was still in business or tubs were available. When I was in Costa Rica I could not find him. Mike

You should feel lucky. Search threads from a few months ago about Paul Pilgram. He has taken many peoples money and has not delivered products he was supposed to. He has basically dissappeared.

That is sad man.... I don't know why people do that.....

Where will i be able to get the Dyes to make the bodys ?

Real Shame about Paul...... Any one heard about him off lately

i heard from an unknown source that he lost his shop and possibly his house in a mudslide as well as several of his workers. IF thats the case then i can see why people are having trouble with their orders.

I tried for 6 months to get one of these south american Tubs. I finally went a different route in repairing a better stock tub.

It's pretty disheartening.

If this did happen to him you would think you could give leeway.

If vendors were communicative on these sites (continuously) and would stand up for what was right and wrong with their products, it would be nice. Most vendors seem to be like 'whack-a-mole' - they pop up, get bashed, and disappear for 18 mo. - or forever. There are some exceptional vendors who are in frequent communication and do what is right - and I'll gladly support them.

If you're a TLCA member, you should have seen this article detailing my joyous fender fitting experience: http://www.tlca.org/trails/2012/0708/replacement.shtml

Never again will I buy whole panels - I'll patch what's there or use a CCoT patch panel. I don't need to pay huge prices for 'approximate' panels stamped carelessly in a remote land, and not quality checked in any way. I could put together some crap myself, actually.

I bought a Pligrim Tub a few years back, and I think the build quality is fantastic. Sitting in the humidity in my garage for quite a while, I was also really happy that absolutely no surface rust has emerged.

I am not a fabricator, but a friend of mine, Donnie Berens, does all kinds of fabrications for a living.

He has been doing a lot of work on my body panels getting ready for body and paint work. I figured we would just bolt up the 3/4 tub to my cowling in a couple hours and move on...

It was pretty much a full day. Like some others have said, the rockers were a bit tweaked and didn't line up with the firewall. So we cut the seam on the inside and tweaked it back. Then rewelded the seam once the mating points were lined up and tacked into place. We also trimmed some steel at the front of the floor pans.

It's a shame that others are having issues, but for what it's worth, Donnie said that in all his experience, these adjustments, cuts, and rewelding were exectly what he would have expected, and he is extremely impressed at the build quality of the tub.

The tub/cowling mating is complete, but not in the above pics. It turned out perfect. The only issue I am having now is that some of the predrilled holes for things like the seat mounts aren't lined up exactly right. One hole may be perfect and the other doesn't match. It's the same with my spare tire carrier on the back.

My optimistic thought is that maybe they made several holes to match components for different year spans, and that you just need to drill the "other" hole to match your stuff.

If that's the worst of it, I'm pretty happy.

Last edited:
I have tried contacting pilgrims several times but i haven't had any reply from them. I would be more than happy to purchase a tub from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom