Don't think my wagongear door seals will work...UPDATE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bummed...I replaced the weatherstripping that goes on the door itself with new OEM seals.

Then I put the wagongear seals in around the door opening. I've read where it may require adjusting the door strike outward. Even if I did adjust it out some there is no way the upper window frame of the door will sit flush to the truck, it is pushed out a good 1/2 to 3/4 inch around, like it's being bent outward.
There's just too much stuffing in between the door and body.
Even with just the new oem seals on the door I gotta give it a pretty sharp slam to close it.

Sux, a couple of my door frame seals are torn up. Any other options??
(Btw, not knocking Kevin's stuff, it's all good.)

Body or door might be bent?

Is it the same for all doors?

Bummer. Maybe all the stock stuff on your truck is in good shape still?

send them to me if you aren't happy :)

Body or door might be bent?

Is it the same for all doors?

No, it's all straight.
Honestly I only did the drivers door but can't see the other doors being any different. Still plan to try the others.
The issue is I am replacing BOTH, seals around the doors(oem) and kevin's around the door frame.
Both sets of my seals were shredded during a desperate coat hanger incident. At this point I'm gonna use just the new oem weatherstripping, maybe attempt a repair on the door frame stuff.
I don't think the door frame strips are available oem(?), hence the genesis for Kevin providing these...again, a great resource here!!
:beer::beer:

Hey Sk, sorry the seals are giving you trouble, they can be a pain sometimes.
Keep in mind that you can return any or all of it if needed. And if you just want replacement edge trim without the seal I can set you up with some of that as well.

But..... are you daily driving the truck?
If you can, try installing the seals and then just leaving the door shut on them for awhile. When they are new there is a lot of mass to compress, especially with the other new rubber in there as well. They will take shape fast though and the doors will be much easier to close.

Hope that helps,
KR

I happened to glance at this thread because coincidentally, I just did the weatherstrip on my rig last night. As an aside, I learned that one of those panel hand tools would have been helpful for the task. I'm glad I had the replacement materials already, because I destroyed the old weatherstrip.

And I also learned of Wagongear, checked the link for the products, and LIKE the panel pieces and tailgate lids. Really nice stuff.

Even after checking the site though, I'm still not clear about the additional "door seals". Like AKcruiserfreak said, maybe a pic would help a rookie like me understand...

You selling weatherstrip again, Kevin? I need some if you are!

Don't worry Alex! I haven't left you out of the loop, still can't afford the new rolls yet.

Cruisin AK said:
.......Even after checking the site though, I'm still not clear about the additional "door seals". Like AKcruiserfreak said, maybe a pic would help a rookie like me understand...

Hey AK, these seals replace the vinyl edge trim on the pinch weld around the door openings.
The OE trims don't have a seal, (unless its a 62, then they have the seal, but on on the top half of the front doors).

I've got a wordy paragraph about what they do at the top of the page here:
DoorSeals
There are a bunch of photos that follow, but I know it's tough to see what is actually going on in them. The system doesn't photo very well.

KR

THREAD UPDATE:
Pretty much forgot about this thread I started over 3 yrs ago until doing a complete door refurb recently and found the Wagongear seals coiled up in a box.

What the hell, I'll try installing them again on all four doors and see how it goes. Door closing and figment was really tight like before, but this time I let them sit compressed for a couple days.
Damn, what a difference!! (Should've listened to Kevin's advice). The seals have really compressed and form fitted in the tight spots. Still have to shut the doors a little harder than I like but not enough at this point to adjust the jams out any. Wind noise and whistling is gone!

I think the problem initially was that at the time all the door seals were also replaced with new OEM. The new OEM door strips and the new Wagongear seals combined were just too much stuffing in the door jambs. I mean it was crazy hard to close the door. So over time the 'yota door strips have relaxed and compressed down some....and all is right in the world!

Anyway, not a huge tech deal, but felt worth mentioning. Need to address the rear hatch some now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom